Description: This intern interpreter position is located on Alcatraz Island, the oldest permanent military installation, west of the Mississippi River. Alcatraz Island has served many roles in history. It has been a U.S. military fortification and prison (1850’s - 1933), federal penitentiary (1934 - 1963), site of an occupation by American Indians (1969 - 1971), breeding site for many species of nesting birds, and a part of the national park system since 1972.
Interns are an integral part of the Alcatraz staff. Working with the National Park Service and its park partner’s, interns provide vital services to Alcatraz visitors. This position is ideal for a recent graduate or someone who can commit full-time for 6 months.
Hours per month: 40 hours a week, with a commitment from April to October. Housing may be available. Biweekly stipend provided.
Description of Duties: The National Park Service seeks outgoing individuals to help with visitor services on the island. This is a great way to develop job and communication skills. Volunteers will rove Alcatraz, provide visitors with information on the island’s natural and cultural history, and resource protection information.
• Greet groups of 300+ visitors arriving on the ferries to the island
• Answer questions and conduct cellhouse demonstrations
• Introduce visitors to island wildlife
• Present programs for the public
• Personal enrichment and experience working in a national park setting
• Experience in communicating with people of diverse cultures
• Opportunity to get to know the park site intimately
• Accrual of knowledge and skills necessary to perform interpretive functions and provide visitor information
• Interest in local cultural and natural history
• Ability to speak in front of large groups
• Ability to work with a culturally diverse population
• Ability to follow directions and work as a member of a team
• Desire to learn and try new things
• Computer skills
• Bilingual skills helpful
TO APPLY: Please go to https://www.volunteer.gov/results.cfm?ID=5746 and submit an application. Mention that you found the position through Texas A&M Job Board.