Assistant Aviculturist to assist with the day-to-day care and maintenance of our world class aviaries under the direction of the Director of Aviculture.
Under the supervision of the Director of Aviculture:
Diet selection and feeding
Medicating birds as needed
• Design and maintenance of nesting structures
• Egg management (collection, candling and incubation)
• Breeding bird management (housing, pairing, monitoring)
• Pinioning, banding, sexing of offspring
Landscaping and removal of debris/snow from summer/winter storms
Daily inspection of predator controls
Building, aviary and equipment upkeep
• Maintain aviculture records (studbooks, breeder database and bird records)
• Ordering of food and supplies
• Supervision of volunteers and interns
• Assistance in compliance reporting in line with federal and state permit requirements
• Participation in studbook programs and collaborative breeding projects
Salary: The total compensation for this position has an estimated value of $40,000 - $50,000 including housing and utilities.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to work well with others.
• High levels of initiative and a desire to excel
• College degree in environmental science, biology or similar
• Prior experience in bird husbandry and propagation, waterfowl experience preferred
• Strong work ethic