Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Avian Field Technician: Colorado
SWCA Environmental Consultants
Denver, Colorado, United States
Last Date to Apply
Do you thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellence in environmental consulting services for your clients? SWCA Environmental Consultants is expanding their team and looking for a dynamic individual who is following their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work.
We are seeking resumes from qualified individuals for the position of Avian Field Technician. The upcoming projects will be in either Guymon, OK (starting approximately 2nd week of September) or in Casper, WY (project starts mid October). This position includes hiking in all seasons and conditions. These are temporary, seasonal positions with an hourly pay rate and may have the potential for additional work to follow.
• Conduct surveys and collection of field data concerning raptors and other avian species.
• Assist Project Manager and Senior Avian Ecologist.
• Record data on field site forms or on a digital tablet.
• Upload field data to backup servers at the end of each day.
• Use topographic maps, aerial photographs, GPS units, and other maps and tools to determine exact locations of project areas, habitat types, and associated landforms.
• May conduct biological data/literature searches and reviews
• Operate SWCA vehicles, and assures they will perform safely. Notify appropriate person if vehicle needs maintenance.
• Drive ATVs on 4wd roads to field site.
• Photograph appropriate habitat, species, and landforms.
• Minimum of B.A. or B.S. in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, or a related field.
• Excellent knowledge of western raptors, eagles, and other avian species.
• Knowledge of avian survey techniques.
• Minimum of one (1) year of experience in related fieldwork.
• Ability to record accurate field notes.
• Ability to use digital tablet for GPS navigation and recording of field data.
• Ability to conduct fieldwork for long hours in inclement weather conditions. Ability to walk up to 10 miles per day, often in rugged terrain. May have to carry equipment and/or supplies, weighing up to 40 pounds.
• Ability to drive a 4wd vehicle and ATV on rugged, backcountry roads.
• Ability to take initiative, resolve problems, and create improved procedures to assure tasks are completed in the most effective manner.
• Flexibility and willingness to learn company procedures, and ability to try new, improved techniques.
• Ability to work as member of a team and individually to make decisions and complete tasks in the most effective manner.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email@example.com or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.