Position requirements: 30 hours per week in husbandry/10 hours per week supporting front of house operation of ticketing and interpretation.
Avian Fellow will be tasked with basic seabird care and husbandry techniques. Fellow will assist in the daily care and maintenance of the Center’s Alaskan seabird collection and exhibit. This position also participates in daily educational talks and/or tours. Under guidance of Avian staff, the Fellow will be trained and expected to perform the following duties:
· Perform daily animal diet preparations and routine cleaning of seabird exhibits and work areas.
· Record daily observations and note the health and condition of the exhibit birds.
· Work in an outdoor exhibit with moderate to strenuous physical activity, lifting up to 50lbs.
· Lead daily Keeper chats and tours.
· Maintain computer records and data.
· Assist in habitat maintenance and breeding season preparations.
· Assist the avian staff in current research projects and data collection.
· Assist in avian training program
· Assist at the ticketing counter or with Interpretation as assigned
• Applicants must be college graduates or currently enrolled in an accredited college or university with a background or coursework in a related field.
• Applicants must have the ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction, have excellent communication skills, and good organizational skills with attention to detail.
• Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available weekends, evenings and holidays.