This position is stationed at the Indiana Division of Fish Wildlife (DFW) Mitchell Field Office and is responsible for installing and monitoring barn owl nest boxes in the winter throughout Indiana. The applicant will also have the potential to work on other projects related to nongame and game wildlife. Specific duties include:
Nest box installation:
• Locate appropriate sites to place nest boxes
• Contact private landowners to schedule nest box installations
• Work with power tools on ladders to install nest boxes
Nest box maintenance:
• Use ladders to climb to nest boxes
• Record nest box contents and other signs of barn owl use in buildings
• Clean out nest boxes
• Make repairs to nest boxes as necessary
• Create records of installed nest boxes
• Update excel database with current results
• Create files in ArcGIS software to map results
Additional Information: Duties are performed in an office locale and in a variety of field environments that may require accessing difficult habitats (old barns) and exposure to adverse conditions (excessive cold, excessive dust, heights). Applicant must be able to work independently and in a team setting. Work days are variable, but will typically be Monday-Thursday with frequent early mornings. Applicant must provide his/her own transportation to and from the DFW Mitchell Field Office; travel to and from field sites will be provided using a state vehicle. This is an excellent opportunity for recent graduates to gain experience working for a wildlife and natural resource agency.
Preferred Experience: Applicants must not be afraid of heights, must be able to climb ladders and carry more than 50lbs, and must have a safe driving record and valid driver’s license. Carpentry and power tool experience are desirable, but not required.
Application Process: Application Process: Email a cover letter and current resume or CV with three references to Allisyn Gillet, Nongame Bird Biologist [agillet (at) dnr.in.gov] by August 24, 2017.
Please label the e-mail as “Barn Owl Nest Box Program Assistant.” Please refer any questions to Allisyn Gillet at 812-334-1137 ext. 3400.