Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Bat Research Technician in Missouri
Southern Illinois University
central/western Missouri (Ozarks)
Last Date to Apply
A research technician is needed to assist a Master’s student working on a bat research project studying the bat community in central and western Missouri (in and around Lake of the Ozarks). Research involves using mist-nets and acoustic detectors to survey bat populations including blood sample/DNA collection. Candidate will have the opportunity to handle bats, likely including the federally endangered Indiana bat and federally threatened northern long-eared bat.
- Housing is provided (camper trailer)
- Work is generally 7 days a week
- Work begins around 17 May and will end approx. 15 August.
Primary duties include conducting mist-netting surveys and deploying, maintaining, and collecting acoustic monitoring equipment. Additional duties include net and equipment maintenance, data entry, and assessing vegetation plots. The work will require long periods in the field (including work at night), heavy lifting of equipment (~60-70 lb. 12V batteries) and a considerable amount of travel.
• Enrolled in or have completed a BA or BS in Biology, Wildlife Biology, Ecology or related field.
• Good physical condition
• Position often requires long hours and working late at night under varied environmental conditions, including rugged terrain possibly filled with poison ivy and biting insects
• Previous field experience
• Applicants must be willing to work weekends
• Applicants must possess a valid driver's license and experience driving a 4WD truck
• Applicants must possess GPS, map reading, and orienteering skills
• Acoustic bat detector experience
• Bat work/mist-netting
• Candidates wishing to handle bats are required to obtain rabies vaccinations or provide a recent titer check (from last 2 years). Preference to those vaccinated.
To apply: send your CV/resume, cover letter describing your interest and experience, and contact info for 2-3 references, all in the same Word or PDF file as an email attachment, to Zach Cravens at email@example.com. Please use the subject line ‘Bat Tech Missouri’ for emails. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.