Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Bat Research Technician in Missouri
Southern Illinois University
Last Date to Apply
A research technician is needed to assist a Master’s student working on a bat research project studying the bat community in central and western Missouri. Research involves using acoustic detectors and mist-nets to survey bat populations in understudied portions of Missouri.
Primary duties include deploying, maintaining, and collecting acoustic monitoring equipment and conducting mist-netting surveys. Additional duties include net and equipment maintenance, data entry, assessing vegetation plots and may include blood/DNA/RNA sampling. The work will require long periods in the field (including work at night) and a considerable amount of travel.
- Housing is provided (camper trailer)
- Work is generally 7 days a week
- Work begins 15 May and will end approx. 15 August.
• Applicants should be enrolled in or have completed a BA or BS in Biology, Wildlife Biology, Ecology or related field.
• Ability to work alone or in groups
• Good physical condition
• Position often requires long hours and working late at night under varied environmental conditions, including rugged terrain possibly filled with poison ivy and biting insects
• Previous field experience
• Applicants must be able to identify tree species of Missouri or must be willing to learn to do so
• Applicants must be willing to work weekends
• Applicants must possess a valid driver's license and experience driving a 4WD truck
• Applicants must possess GPS, map reading, and orienteering skills
• Acoustic bat detector experience
• Bat work/mist-netting
• Candidates wishing to handle bats are required to obtain rabies vaccinations or provide a recent titer check (from last 2 years). Preference to those vaccinated.
To apply send your CV/resume, cover letter describing your interest and experience, and contact info for 2-3 references, all in the same Word or PDF file as an email attachment, to Zach Cravens at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line ‘Bat Tech Missouri’ for emails. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.