Spend three months working and living outdoors as part of a Utah Conservation Corps crew! Crews complete projects on Utah's public lands related to habitat restoration, invasive species removal, fence construction, and forest fuels reduction, and more. All crew members are trained in safe and proper tool use, including chainsaws, project techniques, and basic wilderness first aid.
Term Dates: August 16-Nov 15, 2017
Locations: base out of Cedar City, Logan, or Salt Lake City. Project sites are located throughout the state
Crew Members are responsible for being a contributing member of their crew, upholding and abiding by UCC policies & procedures, and conducting themselves in a safe and productive manner. Crews typically camp during the project week and return to their base field office for off-time. Some crews may go home each night when working on local projects.
During the fall season, multiple crews based out of CEDAR CITY work in the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument on a large-scale habitat restoration project. This project involves backcountry camping (8-9 days) up the Escalante river canyon, using chainsaws to remove invasive Russian olive trees from the river banks. If you are interested in working on a backcountry chainsaw crew, this is the project for you! You can indicate interest in this project on the UCC application.
• Great attitude and love of the outdoors!
• Ability and willingness to work hard as part of a small crew
• Ability to work on physically demanding projects for long hours outdoors
• Ability and willingness to camp in all sorts of weather conditions
• At least 18 years of age at the start of the season
• US Citizen or permanent resident
• Agree to a criminal history background check
• Positive attitude, flexibility, and maturity
• Ability to work effectively as part of a 2-person crew
• Desire to live and work in a remote or primitive setting
• Ability to work long hours outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
• High School Diploma or GED, minimum
• At least 21 years of age (by term start date)
• U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
• Eligible to enroll in AmeriCorps
• AmeriCorps Living Allowance, $550 paid twice per month
• AmeriCorps Education Award, $1,515 or $2,
• Wilderness First Aid Certification
• Project & tool specific training (ex. Trail building, chainsaw, etc.)
• Experience, career exploration, and networking
Complete the online application found at www.utahconservationcorps.org.