We are seeking qualified individuals with experience in natural areas management or landscaping to apply for our technician position. This position works as part of a team, using a variety of hand tools and power tools to perform weed and invasive species control, brush clearing, shoreline erosion control work, prescribed fire, install native/sustainable landscape projects, landscape maintenance, equipment maintenance, and other duties as needed.
• At least 18 years of age with a valid driver's license.
• Ability to physically perform duties, including exerting sustained aerobic effort, bending, reaching, crouching/kneeling, walking for long periods carrying packs up to 50 pounds, pushing/pulling/ lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 75 pounds, and willingness to work in a wide variety of weather and terrain.
• At least 12 months of professional or volunteer experience in the fields of natural areas management, landscaping or horticulture.
• Experience working with herbicides and a Wisconsin Commercial Pesticide Applicators License or willingness and ability to attain such a license.
• Dedication to an environmentally sound way of living and working.
*Candidates must have all of the above qualification to be considered for this position.
Additional Desirable Skills & Experience. Qualified candidates will have several of the following skills:
• Bachelors degree in Ecology, Forestry, Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, or similar field of study.
• Ability to identify plants indigenous to southern Wisconsin.
• Ability to identify and manage invasive species common to the Midwest.
• Experience installing & maintaining perennials, trees, shrubs and other landscape elements.
• Knowledge of composting, gardening, permaculture and edible landscaping.
• Experience operating & maintaining power tools: chain saws, weed whips, mowers, etc.
• Experience conducting prescribed burns and/or S130/190 certification.
• Experience with hardscaping techniques including retaining walls, pathways & patios.
• Knowledge and experience with erosion control and shoreline stabilization techniques.
• Experience operating tractors, skid-loaders, and other heavy equipment and operating a vehicle towing a trailer.
• Advanced mechanical skills; small engine repair, computer hardware, etc.