Job Description: Hawk Counter Fall Migration Seasonal biologist/ornithologist needed to conduct survey of migrating birds of prey.
Responsibilities: Duties include identifying and recording migrating birds of prey, entering data into the Hawk Migration Association of North America database, and interacting with the public.
• Identify and count all migrating raptors
• Maintain daily data entry into new digital platform, and follow backup data procedures as needed
• Keep appropriate records for rare sightings
• Provide daily summaries for post on various NJ Audubon/Cape May Bird Observatory outlets
• Some data entry in MS Excel possible
• Provide end of season summary report for NJ Audubon publications in timely manner
• Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying raptors in flight a must
• Careful data collecting skills a must
• Applicants should have experience interacting with the public and excellent interpersonal skills
• An enthusiastic and motivated self-starter who is also a strong team player
• Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions
• Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces, climb multiple steep steps and lift 25 lbs as necessary
• All applicants must have their own vehicle, and a valid, driver’s license to operate a vehicle in NJ.
Start Date: August 24, 2017
End Date: November 30, 2017
Salary: $1,400 - 1,800/month, commensurate with experience. Housing available.
Application Deadline: June 20, 2017
Qualified individuals may apply by sending cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to email@example.com
Please indicate in the subject line the position for which you are applying.