This position will be part of a team conducting vegetation surveys in the Clearwater Basin of north-central Idaho. These positions will be responsible for 1) measuring abundance (biomass) of forage by plant species using double sampling procedures that include sampling of plant canopy cover and clipping plants; 2) measuring forest overstory characteristics using standard vegetative sampling techniques, 3) collecting plant samples for nutrient analysis, 4) drying and weighing clipped vegetation, and 5) similar duties as assigned.
Vehicles will be provided. Expected working schedule (days on versus days off and hours/day) will vary depending on remoteness of sampling location and as such, technicians need to be flexible regarding schedules.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude in challenging conditions (i.e. heat, wind, rain)
- Ability to identify western grasses, forbs, and shrubs to species and/or have plant keying skills and be willing to learn the species of interest prior to beginning field work
- Capable of hiking several miles while carrying a 35+ lb pack in rough terrain
- Comfortable operating 4WD trucks and ATVs
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Strong attention to detail and a desire to collect quality data will be highly valued