Position Dates: April 10th (negotiable*) - November 17, 2017
Location: based in Salt Lake City, Utah. Project sites are primarily in the Salt Lake City vicinity; the crew may also head out to project sites across the state.
The UCC Crew Leader is an AmeriCorps position that provides direct leadership to a 4-person conservation field crew. Crew Leaders are responsible for preparing and leading their crew in the completion of conservation projects, as well as ensuring that UCC policies and procedures are followed, facilitating education time with their crew, communicating with project sponsors, and recording important project outcome data. Project schedules vary by crew and may include habitat restoration, trail building & maintenance, invasive species removal, re-vegetation, fence building, and forest fuels reduction.
Salt Lake City based field crews generally work on local projects and go home to their place of residence each night. When project work occurs outside of SLC, the crew camps near their project site for the duration of the project week.
AmeriCorps Crew Leaders are provided with:
- A bi-monthly living stipend payment ($675 twice/month)
- An AmeriCorps education award at the end of the term ($2,887)
- Chainsaw training
- Wilderness First Aid training and certification
- Excellent in-field conservation experience and exposure to public lands/natural resource management practices
*UCC can negotiate an earlier or later start date. Please contact UCC for questions regarding the start date.
• Leadership experience and demonstrated leadership skills
o Teaching, training, and mentoring
o Conflict management & resolution
o Effective communication & interpersonal Skills
• Previous conservation corps, public lands agency, or similar experience
o Chainsaw experience, preferred
o Trail maintenance and construction experience, preferred
• Demonstrated outdoor skills
o Camping experience, including backpacking, preferred
• Alignment to UCC mission and values of safety, service, community, inclusivity, positivity, and commitment (see full mission and values statements at the end of this document)
• Support of UCC Mission & Values and a positive, “getting things done for America” attitude
• Commitment to crew member development
• Flexibility – ability and desire to work in a dynamic environment and take on change
• Ability and willingness to think creatively, adapt, adjust, and problem solve in order to complete project assignments
• Ability and willingness to work an irregular schedule
• Ability, willingness, and desire to live out of a tent and work in a variety of weather conditions
• Willingness and physical ability to work on a variety of conservation projects, which may include, but is not limited to, 8-10 hour days using chainsaws, hand tools, or applying herbicide.
• Employ proactive, active, and effective communication
• At least 21 years of age
• U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
• Proof of a valid driver’s license
• Eligible to enroll in AmeriCorps
TO APPLY: submit the online application form found at www.utahconservationcorps.org. Choose "Salt Lake City Crew Leader" as the position you are applying for. Be sure to tell us why you are pursuing this particular position in your essay responses!
Position open until filled. Questions? Contact Lindsay at email@example.com or (435) 797-0964 x1.