The Field Technician reports to the Field Operations Manager.
• Field Technician I - The Field Technician I is a biological sampling lead performing seasonal and periodic sampling activities and sample processing. Seasonal field sampling is conducted with the assistance of temporary field crews under the guidance of the Field Technician.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Instrumentation (tower) emphasis:
• Test, troubleshoot and operate instruments, calibration equipment and test fixtures.
• Inspect and maintain civil infrastructure including boom arms, sensor mounts, towers, boardwalks and instrument huts.
• Assist the NEON Systems Engineering Product Team with instrument installation and testing (approximately the first 6 months).
• Record activities, completed work and trouble tickets according to Field Operations protocol.
General duties include:
• Report activities, completed work, and sampling problems according to Field Operations protocols.
• Inspect, maintain and operate field, safety and laboratory equipment.
• Operate laboratory equipment (e.g. Wiley Mill, drying oven, analytical balance, centrifugal mill, pH meter, microscope, and muffle furnace).
• Assist the Field Operations Manager with recruiting and training of seasonal field personnel.
• Provide instruction and technical guidance to seasonal field personnel.
• Perform plot establishment by locating plots with GPS navigation as well as measuring and marking plots.
• Assist the Field Operations Manager with materials planning, inventory and ordering as well as day-to-day oversight of personnel and scheduling of activities coordinated from the field office.
• Follow NEON safety and Field Operations policy and procedures.
A complete job description is available at http://www.neonscience.org/about/careers
REQUIRED: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Experience should include performing scientific data entry and data management.
• Ability to hike off-trail to assigned field site for long distances carrying field equipment (pack weighing up to 40 lbs.) for extended periods of time.
• Ability and willingness to travel overnight frequently (e.g. semi-monthly for 3-4 nights).
Battelle Ecology, Inc. will be selecting an individual for a Field Technician I level. Equivalent education and experience may be considered.
Field Technician I
• Bachelor’s Degree in ecology, environmental sciences or related scientific discipline.
• One (1) or more years’ of related experience.
In order to be considered for any open position with the NEON Project/Battelle Ecology, Inc, you must please go to our website http://www.neonscience.org/ and apply. We are unable to create an account/application for you.
If you have trouble submitting your application, trying a different browser usually resolves the issue. Please know you must answer all required questions, before the system will allow you to move forward or complete your application.
Also, as long as the requisition is listed on our website we will continue to accept and review resumes for that position(s).
All applications will be reviewed by the Hiring manager and the NEON Project/Battelle Ecology, Inc. will contact you, via the information provided on your application, if we would like to speak with you regarding a phone screen or interview.