Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Field Technicians – Osprey Recovery in Illinois
University of Illinois at Springfield
$440-$500 per WEEK (depending on the skills and experiences). Housing or camping gear (except sleeping gear) are provided.
Last Date to Apply
I am looking for four field technicians with strong work ethics to assist with the osprey hacking program in Illinois as part of the osprey recovery effort for this state-endangered species.
The positions, based at different sites, have the following responsibilities:
* Daily Observations - conducts daily behavioral observations of osprey chicks at the hacking site to ensure their well-being. Makes notes of presence of potential predators or competitors in the vicinity of the hacking site.
* Daily Tracking - conducts daily tracking of ospreys once they fledge and notes their locations before migration.
* Food Preparation and Feeding - conducts daily preparation of fish and feeding to the hacked ospreys.
* Planning and Coordination - conducts regular fish pick-ups from the project partners. Coordinates with the field personnel at the other hacking site for project purposes when required.
* Daily Reports - contributes to daily reports regarding the behaviors, locations, and fish consumption by ospreys. Makes notes of any other notable events related to the birds.
* Maintenance - assists with the maintenance and clean-up of the hacking tower after the season, as well as the maintenance and inventory of the field gear and equipment.
Successful candidates must have a B.S. degree in environmental science, wildlife, biology, or related field. Experiences working with birds of prey, as well as paddling skills, are highly preferred. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, ArcGIS, and GPS is highly desirable. Successful candidates must be a team-player, demonstrate strong communication skills, follow instructions well, and pay attention to detail. Candidates must have a commitment to field personnel and equipment safety. Individuals must have and maintain a valid driver's license as well as be able to work outdoors in extreme weather conditions and for long hours.
Application: Review of applications will start immediately until the positions are filled.
Starting date: June 30, 2017.
Anticipated ending date: October 6, 2017.
Salary: $440-$500 per WEEK (depending on the skills and experiences). Housing or camping gear (except sleeping gear) are provided.
To apply, please send the following (via email) to Dr. Tih-Fen Ting at firstname.lastname@example.org:
1) Cover letter addressing background and extent of qualifications;
2) Resume, including contact information for three references; and
3) Transcripts (unofficial or scanned copy acceptable).