The role of Fish Farm Technician is an entry level position in the operations team, working within one of the Fish Farm teams. These individuals are responsible for the completion of all tasks required for a productive, healthful, and efficient growth of finfish within the VeroBlue Farms Opposing Flows nursery and grow-out tank systems.
Essential Functions: (The functions listed below are characteristic of the type and level of work associated with this job group. They are not all-inclusive. Individual positions may perform some or all, as well as other similar work.)
• Make standardized observations such as length, weight, behavior, growth, survival, and or signs of parasites, diseases or pathogens.
• Collect and organize biological fish and water samples.
• Support aquaculture fish rearing activities including feeding, grading, sampling, harvesting, sorting, handling, and transporting fish. Monitor the status of facility systems and equipment. Assist in maintenance and cleaning of systems and tanks.
• Make regular facility inspections including, for example, pumps, motors, blowers, diffusers, drains, tanks, screens, filters, feeders, and related equipment. Monitor and maintain water quality levels. Record findings and adjustments made. Respond appropriately and immediately to emergencies
• Work within a team environment on all aspects of the operation of the aquaculture facility.
• Able to work extended hours/days on as-needed or scheduled basis.
• Manage fish health and welfare throughout all tasks.
• Adhere to the VeroBlue Farms operational procedures to include, Biosecurity, Safety, Quality and HACCP.
• Complete other similar and related tasks and duties as assigne
Knowledge Required by the Position:
At the lower end of the range, employees use knowledge of basic arithmetic, reading, writing, and data collection to perform routine or repetitive tasks.
At the upper end of the position range, employees use knowledge of the basic principles and protocols of fish biology to make readings, measurements, and observations; execute tests; collect samples, etc. If equipment systems are operated, the employee has the knowledge to perform calibrations or adjustments to achieve desire results.
Additional Mandatory Requirements:
• lift 40 lbs.
• compile and collect neat and accurate data
• email, MS Word, data entry
• oral communication skills
• written communication skills
• repair and maintain equipment
• pass drug screen and background check
Demands can range from moderate – where is walking, climbing stairs and ladders, reaching, lifting, bending, and strenuous sweeping –to rigorous. In the latter case, the incumbent must be able to handle buckets of water, gear, or fish weighing up to 40 pounds. Long daily periods of standing, walking, carrying may be required. Ability to lift at least 40 lbs numerous times during a given working shift, both in static (i.e. feed) and dynamic loads (i.e. netted live fish).
• Ability to stand on feet for more than 4 consecutive hours.
• Perform duties in a warm and humid environment.
• Maintain work pace through a continuous 8 hour shift up to 6 days in a row.
• Work in a manner that maintains the overall safety and operational efficiency of the work environment.
A portion of the work is performed in an office setting with adequate lighting, heating, and ventilation. The majority is performed indoors within a warm and humid environment. Incumbents may work on narrow, elevated walkways and platforms that are adjacent to water.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
A range of experience and education may be presented. At the lower end of the range, candidates may have a High School degree/GED or combination of experience and education.
At the upper end of the range, Candidates must have one year of experience or a course of study in scientific, technical, agriculture, or aquaculture arenas. An equivalent combination of experience and education is also qualifying.
Location, Schedule and Compensation
• Position based out of Webster City, Iowa and surrounding areas.
• Set weekly work schedule, including rotating coverage for weekends.
• VeroBlue Farms has competitive base wages. Medical/Dental/Vision plans, Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays, Bonus and Stock Option opportunities, Education Reimbursement.
VeroBlue Farms is an equal opportunity employer. Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume with cover letter to email@example.com. Include the words Fish Farm Technician in the subject line of the email. No phone calls will be accepted. Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.