About The Trustees of Reservations
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.
Our seasonal staff plays an integral role in ensuring that our visitors enjoy our extraordinary places. With the change to warmer temperatures, we experience an influx of visitors of all ages and backgrounds who want to explore and be inspired by our properties. Sandy beaches, wooded trails, cultural gardens, historic homes, community supported agriculture—there are many ways for visitors to discover and explore The Trustees, and just as many opportunities for seasonal employees to make each visitor’s experience special.
The Trustees of Reservations are seeking qualified individual to assist with monitoring, research, and management activities for Grasslands throughout Massachusetts. The Grassland Technician is part of the Ecology Program team, responsible for the stewardship of natural resources on Trustees properties. The focus of this position is on monitoring grassland birds, key vegetation characteristics, invasive plants and rare plant monitoring. This is a seasonal, full-time, 14-week position, expected to begin in May and continue through August.
Applications are submitted through Paycom. Follow the link bellow to apply for this position. If you are unable to submit applications through Paycom, or have any questions regarding the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Conduct avian point count surveys for grassland nesting birds
• Monitor and map invasive species and control where applicable
• Conduct vegetation surveys
• Collect soil samples
• Coordinate grassland bird monitoring volunteers
• Map and enter data into database
• Other tasks and duties as assigned
• Coursework in wildlife biology, ecology, zoology, environmental science, or related field
• The ability to identify birds by sight and sound, specifically grassland birds (bobolinks, meadow larks and savannah Sparrows)
• At least 3 months of previous field experience
• Strong verbal communication skills
• The ability to work closely with other staff and the public
Preferred Applicants will have Experience with:
• Experience performing grassland bird surveys
• Currently maintain a Massachusetts pesticide applicators license
• Ability to identify Northeast plant species
• GIS mapping
• Applicants must provide their own transportation to job sites, mileage will be reimbursed
• The ability to work outdoors daily, and at times, under rigorous conditions
• The ability to perform physically strenuous duties, such as hiking long distances.
• The ability to lift/carry 50 pounds
• The ability to work irregular hours (depending upon wildlife and weather)
• A valid driver’s license, as well as a satisfactory driving record as outlined in The Trustees’ driving policy
• A satisfactory criminal background check (CORI)
Benefits and Salary
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly paid position.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.