Job Description: Harbor Heron Survey Technician will conduct foraging egret and heron counts; undertake behavioral observations to determine foraging success and identify species and size class of fishes captured and consumed; make site visits to breeding colonies and collect samples. Technician will also be responsible for recording detailed observations and data in the field, and doing data entry, public outreach, equipment maintenance, and other duties as necessary. The position requires spending long hours in the field conducting surveys, carrying equipment, and tolerating exposure to variable and sometimes adverse weather and environmental conditions. Training will be provided.
Dates: 15 July – 15 November 2017
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- travel to study area to conduct foraging egret and heron counts and observe fly-overs
- using established methodologies to develop time budgets for foraging colonial waterbirds
- conduct behavioral observations of foraging birds to determine foraging success
- conduct behavioral observations of foraging birds to identify species and size class of fishes captured and consumed.
- Experience identifying and egrets and herons
- Experience conducting behavioral observations and good observational skills
- Attention to detail, ability to follow detailed protocols when collecting data
- Proficiency with spotting scope use, GPS and range finders preferred
- Proficiency with MS Excel or Access required; experience with GIS preferred
- Must be willing to work irregular hours and occasional weekends
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Must have own vehicle, and a valid and clean driver’s license
- Must be able to move materials and lift 25 lbs as needed.
Send cover letter of interest, resume and three references (including contact information), in a single pdf document, no later than June 30 to New Jersey Audubon by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Harbor Heron” in the subject line to be sure your application is routed correctly.