Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Hellbender Technician – Indiana
Last Date to Apply
Description: A technician is needed to assist with radio-telemetry for Eastern Hellbenders (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis alleganiensis) near Corydon, IN. One 6-month appointment is being sought. The appointment will start in early October 2017 and run through April 2018. Depending on the workload, the potential for a 3-4 month extension is possible.
The primary responsibility of the technician will be to assist other technicians with Eastern Hellbender radio-telemetry. Telemetry will be conducted during all seasons. Given the nature of the field work, there might be periods of down time during the winter due to inclement weather conditions.
Additional work might include rock-flipping surveys for adults, macroinvertebrate surveys, nest surveys, equipment maintenance, and the attendance of occasional outreach events. Housing (pop-up camper) is provided in O'Bannon Woods State Park near Corydon, Indiana.
Duration: October 3, 2017 – April 2018. The start date is the latest date available for starting. The end date is flexible within the month of April.
- A background in forestry, fisheries, wildlife, natural resources, ecology, or related discipline is required.
- Applicants must be willing to work with or near amphibians, reptiles (including snakes), and possibly other wildlife.
- Previous radio-telemetry experience is preferred.
- Applicants must be physically fit and willing to hike, swim, and kayak.
- Applicants must have a valid U.S. driver's license.
- Applicants must be willing to work long hours in sometimes unpleasant conditions (i.e., hot, cold, rainy, snowy).
- Applicants must be comfortable working extended hours in cold water. Wetsuits will be
- Applicant must provide their own cold-weather waders
- Applicants must be comfortable living in cramped quarters with other individuals.
Deadline: August 28, 2017
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please apply quickly! Please send a resume, at least two references, and a brief email describing your interest in the position to Nick Burgmeier (email@example.com).