GRADUATE ASSISTANTSHIP for an M.S. student in the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Ecology at New Mexico State University. The successful applicant will develop a Master’s thesis research project addressing questions at the interface between applied biogeography and quantitative ecology to inform conservation of montane mammals in southwestern North America. The study will seek to understand historical, contemporary, and future distribution patterns of mammals using a variety of modern analytical methods, especially Geographic Information System (GIS). The research will be based on existing datasets and is not expected to involve fieldwork. The student’s primary teaching responsibilities (20 hrs/week) will be to assist Dr. Frey with the development of distance education classes.
• Bachelor’s degree in wildlife science, biology, or conservation ecology
• > 3.3 GPA
• > 70th percentile on verbal and quantitative portions of GRE
• Working knowledge of and demonstrated ability to use ArcGIS
• Quantitative aptitude and statistical knowledge as demonstrated by coursework
• Experience conducting research
• Knowledge of island biogeography or metapopulation theory
• Knowledge of wildlife management and vertebrate zoology
• Small mammal field experience
For consideration, please email Dr. Frey an initial letter of interest, unofficial transcripts, and GRE scores. The letter of interest must explain your experience and ability using GIS and explain why you are interested in the position and how it would fit in with your academic and professional goals. Letters that do not address these points will not be considered. Materials will be reviewed as received and the position filled upon finding a suitable applicant Information about the department can be found at http://aces.nmsu.edu/academics/fws/.
Dr. Jennifer K. Frey, Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Conservation Ecology, PO Box 3003, Campus Box 4901, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico, 88003-0003; https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jennifer_Frey3; email@example.com.