Job Description: SEASONAL MIGRATION COUNT COORDINATOR for fall migration monitoring projects at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory, Cape May, NJ. Cape May is one of the premier fall migration hot spots in the country. Along with coordinating the migration projects the coordinator will also provide day-off relief at each of the 3 migration sites, and enter data. NJA fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
• Identify and count all migrating raptors, seabirds, or songbirds on relief days, and fill in for primary counters as time allows for sickness, personal emergency, etc.
• Inventory and maintain all gear necessary for migration counters throughout the season
• Provide appropriate training for migration counters as necessary both on- and off-site
• Act as liaison to Trektellen regarding online platform, and supervise data uploading
• Oversee the data entry for all counts including Hawkcount.org, and proofing of data at conclusion of season
• Oversee the creation of regular summaries, highlights and notable bird sightings for posting on web
• Work with seasonal counters to create season summary reports for NJ Audubon publications in a timely manner
• Availability via cell phone for troubleshooting, and in person on weekends when not otherwise counting
• Provide at least 1 lecture and/or field workshop at Cape May Autumn Festival
• Applicants should have experience interacting with the public and excellent interpersonal skills.
• An enthusiastic and motivated self-starter who is also a strong team player
• Willingness to work irregular hours, including some weekends, under sometimes difficult field conditions
• Familiarity with bird migration and strong background identifying raptors, seabirds and songbirds in flight
• Careful data collecting skills a must.
• Must have own vehicle, a valid, clean driver’s license, and be able to lift 25 lbs.
Start Date: 16 August 2017 Ending Date: 31 January 2018
Salary:$ 2,100/month. Housing and gas reimbursement provided.
Application Deadline: June 20, 2017.
Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single pdf document (including email and phone contact info) via email: email@example.com
Please be sure to indicate in the subject line the position for which you are applying.
New Jersey Audubon (NJA) is a privately supported, not-for profit, statewide membership organization. Founded in 1897, and one of the oldest independent Audubon societies, NJA is not connected with the National Audubon Society. NJ Audubon is an equal opportunity employer (EOE