Title: Morris County Park Commission Natural Resources Intern
Dates: Aug 2017 through December 2017 (start and end dates somewhat flexible)
Location: Multiple locations within Morris County
The Morris County Park Commission is seeking an intern to work in its Natural Resources Management Unit. The intern will work on an inventory of ash trees as well as other ongoing projects.
This position is primarily field work based but may include some office duties such as data entry. The intern will also work primarily on other ongoing natural resources management projects including invasive plant eradications using manual, mechanical and herbicide control methods. The intern will also focus on an ash tree inventory including the physical tagging of trees, collection of location data using a GPS unit and collection of size and health data. Other anticipated activities include wildlife surveys, maintenance of deer exclosures, installation of deer fencing, native planting projects and working with volunteers on habitat improvement projects. Administrative work that may be required includes data entry, maintenance of activity logs and research.
• Completion of or enrollment in Bachelor’s degree program in ecology, natural resources management, environmental science, or a related field.
• Ability to conduct physically strenuous work in rugged terrain and in adverse weather conditions.
• Plant identification skills.
• Basic knowledge of the flora and fauna of northern New Jersey.
• Knowledge of invasive species identification and management is preferred.
• Knowledge of the use of GPS unit is preferred but not necessary.
• Ability to perform all tasks and work activities independently and as part of a team.
• Completion of a Morris County Medical Services physical examination.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Work Schedule and Compensation:
The salary for this position is $10.20/hour with a 32-hour work week. The start and end dates for this position are somewhat flexible but candidate should be available to start work in August and work through mid-December. Some weekend and night hours may be required. Housing is not provided.
Please email a letter of interest and resume & application (see morrisparks.net ) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letter of interest should include available start and end dates. Application deadline is July 14, 2017 or until position is filled. Selected applicants must complete a pre-employment physical. Selected applicants will also be required to submit fingerprints for a criminal history check and will be reimbursed for the cost after the completion of a 90 day probationary period.