We are looking for a passionate and enthusiastic Natural Lands Steward to help us support the restoration and preservation of natural areas.
The Natural Lands Steward is responsible for a broad range of activities in support of the Natural Lands Team in order to promote the ecosystem health and function of lands owned by Mt. Cuba Center, the habitats they contain, and the larger systems to which they are connected. Work includes a variety of land management tasks, flora and fauna habitat restoration, and ecological monitoring.
We are seeking highly collaborative team members that put our mission first and will help us deliver remarkable experiences to our guests!
What you’ll do:
• Support the restoration and preservation of natural areas
• Monitor natural areas for invasive plant species and utilize current best management practices to manage and remove them
• Install and maintain restoration areas to create and promote native ecosystems
• Monitor and maintain the natural area/public view interface
• Perform general maintenance of fences, gates, signs, other structures within the natural lands, tools, and equipment
• Assist with the design and implementation of ecological monitoring projects
• Work with the Natural Lands Team to execute the goals and objectives of our Natural Lands Management Plan
• Interface with other departments, staff, volunteers, and guests to promote our mission and lead initiatives related to field of expertise
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, conservation biology, natural resource management, related study, or equivalent years of experience
• Delaware Pesticide Applicator Certification within 6 months of hire
• Basic Wildland Fire Training “Red Card” within 12 months of hire
• Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation and ecological land management
• General knowledge of regional flora, fauna, and ecological processes
• Critical thinking and research skills
• Experience with basic computer programs such as Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties
• Ability to safely and effectively operate a wide range of hand tools, power tools, and vehicles
• Willingness to support a wide range of chemical application and wildlife management activities
• Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
• Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
This position requires strenuous physical work; frequent standing, bending, twisting, and hiking. Must be able to lift, push, or pull objects over 50 pounds. This position will work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
Mt. Cuba Center, a premier native plant garden, is dedicated to supporting the environment through the practice and promotion of ecological horticulture. Mt. Cuba Center’s gardens and programs inspire an appreciation for the beauty and value of native plants and commitment to protect the habitats that sustain them.
We offer staff competitive pay, access to our employee discount program, a fun atmosphere, a balanced work-life environment, and an AMAZING benefits package (401k matching up to 8%, health, dental, vision, life insurance, paid parental leave, and generous time off amounts).
TO APPLY: Please access our employment page to submit an online application through our electronic application system. Simply click the “Apply Online” button associated with the job of interest: http://mtcubacenter.org/employment/
HAVING TROUBLE APPLYING? PLEASE EMAIL CAREERS@MTCUBACENTER.ORG FOR HELP!