Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Naturalist Educator – Instructor: TEXAS
McAllen Nature Center
Part Time Vacancies
Last Date to Apply
Under general supervision, the Instructor II is responsible for implementing specific programs as assigned. Employee prepares standard routine reports and records. Job involves decision making which require sound interpretation and mature judgment. Employee provides continuous service to the public frequently involving sensitive matters that demand the utmost tact, courtesy and resourcefulness. Employee has full responsibility for directly, assisting and evaluating job performance of one or more employees.
The McAllen Nature Center is a 20 acre nature site, offering wellness and nature activities as well as an opportunity for visitors to self-tour the site.
1. Performs functions at McAllen Nature Center or at various City sites and events
2. Required to work Holidays, weekends and evenings
3. Required to have program knowledge and experience in nature and wildlife
4. Staffing the visitor information table, assisting with volunteer groups, teaching of private and public programs and school groups.
5. Keeps and maintains records of program participants such as attendance, accident and/or incident reports.
6. Fulfills assigns duties based on task.
7. Assists in planning and follows lesson plans for assigned program.
8. Accomplishes activities while still keeping it fun for all participants.
9. Keeps work areas neat and clean.
10. Thinks and promotes "safety" at all times.
11. Assists in case of emergency.
12. Keeps a daily inventory of all equipment and supplies and reports any supplies needed for daily operations to immediate supervisor.
13. Organize activities that are supportive of the general recreation plan as presented by immediate supervisor.
14. Performs other job related tasks as assigned.
15. Assists on other projects and job related tasks in the department when requested.
16. Assists in meeting overall program objectives, safety and quality.
17. Communicate effectively with parents and guardians.
1. Job requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
2. Job requires some experience background with working with elementary age children.
3. Job requires a minimum of one (1) year experience in program specific leadership positions such as a Program Instructor I, or Program Aide, or experience equivalent to one year of college study or 24 credit hours.
3. Must be knowledgeable and capable of properly using program specific equipment, facilities, and teaching aides for teaching assigned programs.
4. Must be able to demonstrate and assess proper skills in assigned program.
5. Must be in good or excellent physical condition, mobile, and agile.
6. Must be alert, active, responsible and mature individual.
7. Must exhibit special leadership qualities and ability to work with superiors as well as subordinates.
8. Must be able to promote good public relations for the city.
9. Must be able to meet the public in a courteous manner, using tact and diplomacy.
1. This position has no supervisory responsibilities over other employees.
2. This is a safety sensitive position subject to drug testing.
3. An American Red Cross Standard First Aid and CPR Certification is preferred but not required.
1. Must be able to work outdoors in hot weather and be able to move about job site freely without encumbrances.
2. Must be able to lift a minimum of forty pounds.
3. Must be able to physically demonstrate and/or coach program activities offered to participants.
4. Additional job physical demands are available.