The NOPP Fellow Program is designed to give recent MA or MS graduates the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills to address ocean science and policy communication challenges and coordinate activities that play a role in marine and coastal policy development, research efforts, partnership development, proposal vetting, and STEM outreach. This position requires engagement with individuals in the Federal system who organize, develop and lead the Nation’s ocean policy and research directives, and provides an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in governmental activities relating to ocean science, technology, and education.
Fellows will regularly engage with representatives from agencies as the Navy, ONR, NOAA, BOEM, USGS, DOE, DOI, NSF, EPA, USACE, and their partners, to support project development efforts. The Fellow will also gain exposure to a broad range of Federal oceanographic research activities, such as improved forecasting technologies in a changing climate, autonomous aerial and underwater vehicles, technology development and integration, biodiversity monitoring, sea ice modeling, acoustics, Arctic programs, and many other topics.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Social media outreach and analytics.
• Engage with NOPP staff to continue streamlining and improving program protocol and operations, and project tracking and reporting.
• Work as part of the NOPP staff in providing technical and meeting support to the NOPP working groups, committees, and the ORAP.
• Monitor and attend relevant agency, non-profit, and Congressional briefings and hearings.
• Develop communication materials and assist in maintaining the NOPP website.
• Interact with high-level Federal agency staff from the SOST in support of NOPP initiatives and National Ocean Policy objectives.
• Provide assistance to the Program Manager and Program Coordinators in organizing and maintaining updated documents, coordinating outreach and social media activities, and tracking and research of NOPP activities.
• Must be able to work full-time (40 hours/week) during regular operating hours.
To apply, please email a PDF packet that includes a cover letter, resume or CV, a 2-page writing sample, two references, and a list of applicable course work to Dr. Barbara Bischof, Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify “NOPP Fellow – [Your Last Name]” in the subject line.
• Recent (or soon-to-be) MA or MS graduate with a focused interest and academic background in Science Communications, Marine Policy, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Marine Science, or other relevant fields that pertain to the objectives and activities under NOPP.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Very strong organizational and time-management skills.
• Strong skills in social media, specifically Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and WordPress.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize efficiently and effectively.
• Problems solving and research skills.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a close-knit team.
• Work as part of a team to identify program tasks to be integrated into office work-flow plan.
• Must be a US citizen.