The Department of Wildlife Ecology and Conservation at the University of Florida Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center is seeking an enthusiastic individual to support efforts to extend science to technical and general audiences. The successful applicant will prepare and edit educational materials on a wide range of subjects including Everglades restoration, alligators and crocodiles, invasive species, climate change, and a variety of international topics. Position will be full time for one year, and may be extended depending on performance and funding. The position includes working some nights and weekend days.
The Science Writer/Outreach Coordinator will work with scientists and managers from the University of Florida and various state and federal governmental agencies. Primary duties include editing and writing scientific papers such as refereed publications and technical reports, and developing and delivering outreach materials such as fact sheets, newsletters, presentations, posters, door hangers, websites, and social media. The candidate will also be responsible for staffing exhibit tables at community outreach events. There will be opportunities to participate in field work (see website above for project descriptions) and for international travel.
Please send letter of interest and resume or CV by email to provided email address, and use subject heading "Writer/Coordinator."
• Degree in ecology, biology, wildlife, environmental science, journalism, or related field
• Demonstrated strong writing and editing skills for general and scientific audiences
• Ability to research and synthesize information on a wide range of scientific topics
• Skills in graphic design and layout
• Excellent oral communication skills and friendly personality when interacting with public
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, PowerPoint) and publication/design software (e.g., Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Publisher)
• Ability to work independently and with others safely in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
• Possession or ability to obtain a valid driver’s license