The Pennsylvania Game Commission is seeking a full time wildlife biologist aide (3-year term) to serve as an assistant to the elk biologist. Primary duties will include continual maintenance and review of 30+ trail cameras (25%), vegetation/habitat survey, identification, and quantification (20%), monitoring >50 radio-collared elk for survival (15%), routine data entry and administrative record keeping (10%), seasonal calf and adult captures/collaring (10%), annual assistance with the elk check station (5%), annual assistance counting/classifying elk (10%), and periodic public demonstrations, speaking engagements, student ride-alongs and additional duties as assigned (5%).
1) A bachelor’s degree in ecology, wildlife, or a related natural resources field.
2) Demonstrated experience with radio telemetry.
3) Demonstrated experience accurately recording data.
4) Ability to communicate and interact with the public in a positive manner.
5) Experience using GIS for data visualization and basic spatial analyses.
6) Experience operating a 4-wheel drive vehicle off-road.
7) Vegetation identification/monitoring experience preferred.
The majority of the terrain in the elk management area is rugged, heavily forested, and remote with hot summers and cold winters. In summer exposure to ticks and other biting insects should be expected and encounters with rattlesnakes are common. In winter snow pack can limit vehicular travel and some long distance hiking may be required. Applicants should be accustomed to and comfortable starting their work days at or periodically before dawn. Applicants should be comfortable working independently in remote areas. Long hours and some weekend work will be expected. Applicants must be able to lift 50lbs. and carry it for 100 meters.
Benefits (health, vision, and dental), a vehicle, and laptop are provided.
Position is limited to 3 years.
Please email a cover letter stating your interest in this position, a resume, copy of transcripts, and contact information for 3 references to Jeremy Banfield, Elk Biologist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be received by July 3, 2017. Only complete applications will receive further consideration.