A Mountain Classroom Educators are responsible, energetic people who are excited to share their knowledge and love of the outdoors with youth through our hiking-based education program. A Mountain Classroom typically serves Kindergarten-10th grade public, private, and home-schooled groups. Students participate in 1-5 day experiential programs based at Pinkham Notch, The Highland Center, Cardigan Lodge, facilities in NY, ME, NJ, the AMC’s backcountry huts, and in local schools and communities. Academic lessons on forest and watershed ecology, map and compass, geology, weather and climate, outdoor skills, community building and leadership development are integrated taught in a hiking-based program.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
• Ensuring the safety of 8 – 12 students in the backcountry.
• Preparing and teaching theme-based environmental education lessons.
• Creating and facilitating community building activities and experiences.
• Organizing and teaching 2-3 evening programs per week (7-8:30pm).
• Preparing students for outdoor experiences and teaching outdoor skills.
• Leading students on overnight hikes to AMC huts and facilities modeling Leave No Trace ethics.
• Performing logistics functions for the program including: issuing, collecting, cleaning and maintaining gear, preparing teaching supplies, driving vehicles, and organizing food.
• Maintaining professionalism through lesson planning, personal appearance and communication with other staff, chaperones and participants.
• The possibility of occasional weekend work, or leading adult participants.
• Friendly, outgoing, flexible personality with a commitment and enthusiasm for teaching youth.
• Experience leading student/youth groups in the backcountry.
• Experiential teaching experience.
• Wilderness First-Aid & CPR certification (WFR preferred) or the ability to obtain certification prior to starting employment.
• B.A. or B.S. with course work in natural sciences, experiential education, or related field.
• Ability to carry a backpack daily, which holds teaching and emergency supplies (approximately 30-40 lbs).
• Willingness to, at times, work long hours in mentally and physically demanding conditions.
• Satisfactory driving record and background check, as verified by state record check.
• 21+ years old and ability to obtain DOT medical clearance to drive vehicles strongly preferred.
Please visit https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=amcadp&jobId=179810&lang=en_US&source=CC4 to apply. We will begin accepting applications on a rolling basis beginning November 13th, 2017. Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. The information should include three (3) professional references. No phone calls, please.