Located in Corpus Christi, Texas with travel to various project sites throughout southeastern Texas and Gulf region.
Full time Positions
$700.00 weekly. ACE Staff have the option to join ACE health care plans after 90 days of employment. Other benefits begin after six months, including accrual towards two weeks paid vacation and sick leave.
ACE is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as the Restoration Program Manager (RPM) for ACE’s upcoming Texas Crew program, based out of Corpus Christi. This position will start August 28, 2017. The Restoration Program Manager will coordinate the logistics and implementation of outdoor, habitat restoration projects alongside ACE Crew Leaders and USFWS staff. The RPM will be play a lead role in project preparation/management/implementation, quality control, safety compliance, saw/herbicide training and equipment maintenance, and perform related work as assigned. The RPM will play a critical role in project communication, coordination and logistical organization for all ACE crew restoration projects throughout Texas.
The RPM will work throughout the Gulf region of Texas, where ACE restoration projects are being implemented on various National Wildlife Refuges and other locations. This position is a field based position and will require the RPM to allocate roughly 60% of their time supporting restoration crews in the field and 40% of work time working at the office, preparing the logistics and provisions for the crews. In collaboration with ACE Crew Leaders, Corps Members and project sponsors, the RPM will play an important role in advancing ACE’s core values of safety, professionalism, integrity, flexibility, quality, enthusiasm, dedication, and passion.
The ideal candidate will have extensive background in working with Conservation Corps or leading and accomplishing field restoration projects. Qualified candidates will have the ability to handle concurrent operations in a fast-paced environment, the determination to encourage and enforce compliance with all elements of ACE’s safety policies, and the skills to train and develop ACE’s Crew Leaders and Corps Members. The RPM play an important role in ensuring ACE Texas crews are fully prepared and equipped with the necessary project supplies, transportation and equipment prior to departing for their projects.
• Lead the project planning, management and implementation process for all restoration projects for the ACE Texas program.
• Organize and lead restoration project-related trainings including S-212 chainsaw equivalent, herbicide handling, brushcutters, hand tools, etc. for ACE Texas Crews.
• Fix and maintain chainsaws, brushcutters, herbicide backpack sprayers, and tools.
• Maintain a Pesticide Applicator License in Texas and possibly additional states.
• Perform field visits and provide support on restoration projects to ensure safety and quality control while holding ACE field staff and corps members accountable to ACE’s high standards.
• Communicate and collaborate with USFWS and other land management agency staff on a consistent basis.
• Directly work with and mentor ACE crew leaders and crew members in the field and during trainings.
• Train Crew Leaders and members in the maintenance and upkeep of all chainsaws, brushcutters, and other equipment relevant to restoration projects while keeping ACE shops tidy and above OSHA standards.
• Lead efforts in purchasing and packing all project meals for ACE crews.
• Prepare project itineraries and descriptions for ACE Texas crews.
• Work with crews during de-rig and de-brief crew leaders after each hitch.
• Assures compliance with project tracking records, including weekly reports, accomplishment reports, incident reports, safety sheets, end of project checklists, OSHA injury reports, etc.
• Guide Crew Leaders in reporting including tool logs, herbicide, and GPS data.
• Write and submit ACE Restoration Project Reports prior to established deadlines and arrange post-project meetings with project partners.
• Supervises, assists, trains, evaluates, mentors, and/or disciplines field staff.
• May be required to act as a crew leader and lead crews in the absence of a crew leader
• As project /time permits, assists in the following responsibilities:
o Assist in crew orientation
o Assist with restoration trainings at other branches
o Conduct project solicitation with potential project partners
o Assists in the recruitment and interviewing of field staff
American Conservation Experience (ACE), a national leader in developing the next generation of conservationists, is dedicated to providing young adults the opportunity to protect, restore and enhance our nation’s natural habitats, resources and public lands. Crews comprised of 6 - 8 young adults (ages 18 – 25) work and lodge together in wilderness areas for 8 consecutive days in order to advance meaningful conservation projects. ACE crews typically work alongside land management professionals to accomplish challenging environmental projects including habitat restoration, invasive species removal, trail construction/maintenance, and hazardous fuels reduction.
• S-212 Chainsaw Certified, B – Feller and 1 year of chainsaw operation experience.
• Possess Wilderness First Aid (WFR preferred), CPR and BBP certification.
• Experience working with herbicide (mixing and applying herbicide). Successful candidate will be required to obtain a Texas Pesticide Applicator License within the first month of the job.
• Past working experience with conservation corps/organizations.
• Ability to prevent, analyze and resolve safety issues; possess knowledge of safety procedures as applied to field operations.
• Demonstrable knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and techniques used in conservation/environmental restoration operations.
• Knowledge of laws, OSHA regulations, rules, and policies governing field operations in environmentally sensitive areas.
• 6 months of experience performing habitat restoration and/or invasive species removal activities.
• Experience leading, training and motivating young adults in a safe, organized and professional manner.
• Strong organizational and communication skills necessary to organize young adult crews, ensuring a positive culture and a high-quality, efficient service.
• Physically fit and able to perform a wide variety of heavy manual labor for extended periods of time, often under adverse weather conditions.
• Working knowledge of young adult development, team-building and motivational techniques.
• Maintains professional communications and relations with agency project partners, ACE staff, Crew Members, and the general public.
• Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
• Over 21 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
• Must have the ability to travel frequently and often.
• Bachelor’s degree in forestry, biology, environmental science and policy, or conservation-related fields.
• Basic skills in the maintenance and repair of chainsaws, brush cutters, herbicide sprayers, and any other equipment relevant to saw work projects.
• Teaching and training experience regarding habitat restoration, environmental conservation and outdoor living/camping skills.
• Mapping and monitoring using GPS technology.
Dates of employment: The position will be open until filled, preferably filled as soon as possible. A 1 to 2+ year commitment is preferred with many opportunities for further upward mobility within the organization.
Application procedures and deadlines:
Email your resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to Jeff Bousson – email@example.com "ACE Restoration Program Manager – TAMU referred" in the subject heading or Apply Here. The deadline to apply is July 20, 2017 but we strongly encourage to apply ASAP. In-person interviews will take place in Corpus Christi during the week of July 31st.
Successful candidates must complete a criminal background check prior to hire; persons convicted of a felony are not eligible for appointment to this classification. Drug users, including recreational smokers of marijuana, should not consider applying as ACE reserves the right to require drug tests. Applicants must have a clean driving record and be willing to submit to a background check.