Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
ACE Texas – Conservation Crew Member – Texas
American Conservation Experience
Projects take place in the Texas Gulf Coast region.
Members will receive a bi-weekly living stipend of $560.00 and will earn a $2,865.00 AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of service. This Education Award can be used towards school loans and/or future educational pursuits. ACE will provide free meals during all project days.
This position entails the following:
• Working on a crew of 8 young professionals in the outdoors for 4-8 consecutive days, including camping or living in close proximity to the job site during the project days. During project off-days, members will need their own housing.
• Operating chainsaws to remove and control invasive species including Chinese tallow, tamarisk and Brazilian pepper. Members will also apply safe and appropriate amounts of herbicide to completely eradicate invasive species.
• Organizing, recruiting and co-leading local community volunteer service projects.
• Networking with multi-sector conservation professionals and wildlife biologists.
• Working during challenging weather conditions (rain, wind, heat, cold, snow, etc.).
Applicants accepted into this professional development program will serve and complete a 900 hour (25 week) AmeriCorps commitment. Members will have 2 weeks off during the holiday season. Successful applicants will serve on an 8-person saw crew, working 40-80 hours and camping over 4-8 consecutive days, followed by 3-6 days-off. Corps Members will also be involved with the development, recruitment and implementation habitat restoration and conservation related, volunteer service events in the local Corpus Christi community.
Members will participate in a training week and participate in Wilderness First Aid, CPR, S-212 Chainsaw Equivalent, and herbicide handler training upon entry to the organization.
Summary: American Conservation Experience (ACE) is a national, nonprofit environmental organization dedicated to providing professional development opportunities to young adults interested in pursuing careers in habitat restoration and environmental stewardship.
The ACE Texas Conservation Crew Program, based out of Corpus Christi, Texas, is seeking emerging conservation professionals (ages 18-25) from all backgrounds to perform habitat restoration and invasive species removal activities in designated project areas throughout the Texas Gulf Coast. ACE restoration crews will be operating chainsaws and applying herbicide to eradicate and control harmful invasive species populations in order to restore native habitats throughout the Gulf Coast region.
This 25-week professional development position will serve as an excellent opportunity for emerging land managers and conservation professionals seeking hands-on experience with habitat restoration and invasive species removal activities. Successful candidates will be provided job skills training, hands-on experience and network opportunities throughout their commitment.
Applicants must have an established interest in habitat restoration, land management and/or environmental stewardship. Applicants must be willing to undertake arduous physical work with a positive mindset in all types of weather and terrain. Applicants also must be able to communicate and problem solve in a team-oriented environment to accomplish project goals.
Throughout their term of service Members are expected to:
• Possess a team-first, positive mindset, strong and proactive work ethic, and professional demeanor.
• Professionally represent ACE at all projects and local community, public events.
• Attend additional community volunteer events during project off-days.
• Conduct performance evaluations with ACE senior staff throughout term of service.
Physical Requirements -
• Lift heavy (up to 60 lbs) objects for periods of several hours.
• Hike up to 10 miles per day with heavy backpacks and tools (40-60 lbs).
• Perform duties in inclement weather on steep terrain without access to restrooms or developed sanitation facilities.
• Bend at the waist for long periods and spend the entire workday standing or walking.
• Ability to work in areas where emergency medical services are not immediately available and definitive care may be 2 or more hours away.
• This position is available to US Citizens and Green Card holders only.
• Must be 18 - 25 years of age.
• Upon hire, all Members must consent to a Criminal History Check. Their service with ACE will be considered probationary until all results are returned and have been reviewed.
• Members must possess their own personal medical insurance for the duration of their participation with ACE.
• ACE will provide tents and PPE to all Members but Members will be required to provide all other outdoor items including but not limited to: full leather boots (no mesh), sleeping bags, backpacks, and durable raingear.
• ACE maintains a zero-tolerance policy for drugs. Alcohol use is strictly prohibited on ACE projects and on ACE property. Any evidence of drug use or violating ACE's alcohol policy will result in immediate release from the program.
Application instructions: Submit resume, cover letter and 3 professionals references to Jeff Bousson (email@example.com) with "ACE Texas Crew Member - TAMU referred" in the subject line. Applicants must follow all application instructions in order to be considered for this opportunity. Qualified individuals with disabilities and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals and conduct all activities in fully accessible settings. American Conservation Experience is an equal opportunity employer.