Saltwater will be submitting a proposal for a five-year contract to provide observers for the 2019 Alaska Groundfish Observer Program Partial Coverage Contract. We anticipate that the solicitation will be released in November 2018 and due approximately 30 days later. Work would likely start mid-2019, if Saltwater is the successful bidder.
We are looking for a Program Manager(PM) who can handle complicated day-to-day logistics while keeping an eye on the big picture. Meeting coverage requirements and collecting high-quality data are the measures of success for the Alaska Observer Program. While these are critical to implementing a successful observer program, it is also very important that the program manager possess the people skills and inclination to, diplomatically, solve the many people problems that invariably come up when working in a public program.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• All aspects of overall performance on the contract
• Managing Observer Coordinators and Observers
• Communicating with NMFS staff
• Ensuring coverage goals are met
• Fisheries logistics
• Acting as primary contact in case of emergency
• Liaising with the fishing fleet
• Ensuring data quality
• Maintaining high observer morale
• Controlling all administrative aspects of observer projects
• Reporting potential violations and safety concerns to NMFS
• Submission and approval of contract deliverables
• Contractor performance and all contract issues relating to the program
• Monitoring contract performance to meet NMFS’ standards
• Ensuring observer compliance with NMFS’ and Saltwater’s standards of conduct and protocols
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
• Experience in the scientific environment with emphasis on commercial fisheries
management and observer deployments. Must be demonstrated work experience.
• Personnel management. Must be demonstrated work experience.
• Experience as a program manager.
• A Bachelor of Science degree or higher in fisheries, Natural Science, Biology, etc.
• Be a U.S. citizen
The PM must have strong people skills, excellent communication skills, detail-oriented organizational skills, computer skills (Excel, Word, database, and internet use), and be able to multi-task in a fluid environment.
To notify us of your interest, please send your resume and a cover letter by November 16, 2018 to email@example.com . In your cover letter, please include your relevant skills and experience and why you think you would be great at this job. We will honor all requests for application confidentiality.