Explore nature with youth in afterschool programs in Austin, TX!
Join 4-H CAPITAL's AmeriCorps Program, and you can mentor and educate low-income students by leading hands-on science projects afterschool. Afterschool programs in Austin and Del Valle provide safe and supportive environments where students are encouraged to have fun and love learning. Your year of service will strengthen these programs and empower youth to be problem solvers, engineers, scientists, environmental stewards, and engaged community members.
Full-Time positions are available for the 2018-2019 school year. Members will work closely with 4-H CAPITAL's Natural Resource Specialist to design and deliver engaging lessons focused on increasing youth’s interest in nature and nature-related activities. Youth will conduct hands-on investigations, explore the outdoors, build knowledge of the environmental sciences and experience diverse career paths. Classes may engage with Austin’s environmental professionals who will share their expert knowledge about the local environment. Youth may go on field trips to city, county or state parks and other nature areas to learn about their local environment. Topics taught may include: Sportfishing, Texas Plants and Wildlife, Orienteering/ Geocaching, Nature Photography, Citizen Science, Renewable Energy and much more!
Typical service hours are 9:00am - 6:00pm, Mon - Fri. Members will come and prepare lessons in the office, then drive to a school site in the afternoon (mileage is reimbursed between work sites). Most afterschool programs run Mon-Thurs from 2:30-6:00pm. Fridays are used for planning, team meetings, service and program reporting, and trainings. Join us and help make a difference for youth in our community!
• Living stipend of $14,653 (Full-Time)
• $5,920 (Full-Time) Segal Education Award for future school expenses or to pay back loans
• Forbearance of qualifying federal student loans during your term of service
• Health insurance provided
• Childcare allowance provided
• Professional development opportunities with on-site staff and community partners
• Commit to a term of service from August 13, 2018 to June 29, 2019
• Serve a total of 1700 hours
• Have a driver's license and reliable transportation
• Consent to a criminal background check
• Have a positive attitude and be willing to learn new things!
Apply online today! http://agrilife.org/capital4-h/internal-application-for-americorps-instructors/