The Payette National Forest is recruiting two Biological Technician (Weeds) from May 24, 2021 through September 18, 2021. The incumbents will be paired with Forest Service employees to conduct field surveys to identify, document, map, and treat noxious weed infestations. This placement will typically work four ten hour days per week (Monday through Thurs).
Duties and Responsibilities:
This placement will work under the supervision and guidance of professional range and natural resource specialists performing a variety of duties related to implementation of on the ground noxious weeds and invasive plant control. The work is performed outdoors in rugged terrain; to include very steep, wet, muddy, rough, uneven or rocky surfaces; positions require physical exertions, such as, bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities. Individuals should be capable of working alone, or with other people, during early morning hours, or during the day. Time will be spent: 60% treating invasive species, 10% collecting invasive species population data, 25% monitoring and surveying invasive species treatments, 5% range surveys.
Duties are performed out of the New Meadows Ranger District New Meadows, Idaho. Housing is provided in bunkhouses with a common kitchen and shared bedrooms located in New Meadows.
Terms of Employment:
One AmeriCorps member will complete a term of service (length dependent on commitment of hours), starting May 26, 2021 through September 18, 2021. The member must complete a minimum of 680 service hours by the end of their term.
• $7,650.00 living allowance, prorated on a pay period (monthly) basis
• $2,360.00 education award upon completion of the 680 hours of service.
• The incumbent will receive training in CPR/First Aid & defensive driving.
• The New Meadows ranger District will also pay for an Idaho Professional Applicator License if the incumbent desires the certification.
• Housing is provided.
The living allowance and education award are taxable. Members are responsible for providing their own food. Service eligibility is contingent upon the results of a criminal and driving background check. The member will not engage in any prohibited activities as stated in the Member Service Agreement.
Application Deadline: May 3, 2021
Interviews: Will occur as qualified applications are received.
Type of position: AmeriCorps Member
Service Dates Mid July - Early November
Length of Term: 680 Hours
To apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references and completely fill out the application form found at http://bit.ly/NYCInternApplicationForm
Please select “Payette NF – Biological Technician (New Meadows)” when applying.
If you have questions about the position, please reach Northwest Youth Corps Internship Program Coordinator Liv Kelley at firstname.lastname@example.org or Payette National Forest Staff Jonathan Foster at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Protocols: We have developed and facilitated industry leading COVID management protocols that are in place to keep our members and staff healthy, and have maintained an excellent safety record. Read our COVID protocols by visiting www.nwyouthcorps.org/m/covid19
• Willingness to work as part of a small team
• Current driver’s license.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to lift and carry up to 30lbs
• Ability to work outdoors in remote settings and inclement weather on uneven ground
• Member may travel to other duty stations during the work week and remain over-night occasionally
• Previous experience using GPS and GIS
• Previous experience operating ATV's or UTV's
• Noxious weed and plant identification
• Strong interest in resource management.
• Possession of an Idaho State Weed License.