The AmeriCorps Member will report directly to Seth Moessinger, Program Manager for the Western Maryland Initiative. The selected candidate will be tasked with coordinating volunteer opportunities to involve students and community members in on-the-ground conservation. Volunteer opportunities include tree plantings and invasive plant removal, water quality and aquatic species monitoring. As an AmeriCorps member, the individual will build program capacity alongside Trout Unlimited staff, and assist in tracking progress toward the completion of conservation projects, organizing and analyzing monitoring data, coordinating partner gatherings, and generating media content related to TU’s Western Maryland conservation efforts. As an AmeriCorps member, you will receive a living stipend in the amount of $15,100 which will be equally divided into 26 pay periods. Upon successfully completing the minimum requirement of 1700 hours and 1-year term of service you will be eligible for the Segal Education award in the amount of $6,195. The educational award can be used at most accredited institutions and can be used towards most student loans and can be held for up to 7 years. The position term is August 15th, 2021 to August 14th, 2022 with an office location in Frostburg, Maryland.
· Associate degree in natural resource management or related field.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Programs
· Experience entering biological data
· Experience using ArcMap to create maps and organize spatial data
· Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
· Ability to self-motivate and manage time effectively
· Ability to work in the field under variable weather conditions while tolerating exposure to biting insects
· Be able to lift fifty pounds
· Be willing to apply approved herbicides while taking adequate safety precautions to remove noxious plant species
· Valid Driver’s license and possession of reliable transportation
· Ability to travel to field sites
· Applicant must be willing to have a full background check conducted and verified prior to appointment to the position.