Friends of Nevada Wilderness is bringing on one AmeriCorps Stewardship Associate for our 2019 stewardship season. The Stewardship Associate will inspire interest, appreciation, and stewardship of public lands across Nevada. The Associate will assist in planning stewardship projects including, but not limited to, improving and maintaining backcountry trails, treating areas for noxious weeds, removing old fence, fire restoration projects, and improving riparian habitats. They may also help with outreach event planning and coordination, communications and media, and data entry.
This position does not have recurring access to vulnerable populations.
Assist and lead a variety of stewardship projects throughout Nevada, mostly in backcountry settings where hiking between 1-10 miles and carrying heavy loads may be required.
Manage and support volunteers in remote locations throughout Nevada, keeping them comfortable and enthused
Take photos and name, edit, and store photos from stewardship program trips and events
Accurate and timely inputting of data and preparation of project files
Participate in volunteer recruitment activities such as tabling at community events
Give presentations about Friends of Nevada Wilderness and current volunteer opportunities at community events, and to clubs, classrooms, and organizations.
Assist in preparation and distribution of press releases and media packages regarding stewardship opportunities and events to media outlets
Distribute and maintain posters and fliers throughout the community
Provide written content and photos for Friends of Nevada Wilderness’ once-a-month e-mail and twice-a-year print newsletters
Keep equipment clean and in working order at all times
• 18 or older
• US citizen or equivalent
• High School Diploma/GED
• Ability to hike up to ten miles per day with a 40-pound pack.
• Basic Computer skills- Word, Excel, data Entry
• Flexibility regarding work schedule, weekends will be required*
• Self-motivated and flexibility in working in a multi-task environment
• Current Driver’s License required
• Ability to communicate and work with a diverse population
• Off highway driving experience and the ability to handle large vehicles
• Enjoy the outdoors - due to the remote nature of work sites, camping will be required at undeveloped recreation sites
• Degree or some college in a related field
• Backcountry camping/backpacking experience
• Backcountry cooking experience
• Leadership experience in a backcountry setting
• Environmental education background preferred but not required
• Wilderness First Aid certification
• Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
• Nevada Outdoor School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status or age in its programs, activities or in its hiring and employment practices.
• This AmeriCorps program is made possible by a generous grant from Nevada Volunteers.
• There is no housing or transportation (except to stewardship projects and events from the office) provided with this position.
• AmeriCorps members are expected to wear AmeriCorps logo or apparel while serving.
• The member will participate in three service days with Nevada Outdoor School’s AmeriCorps Program and other community-wide events throughout the service year. Additionally, the member will participate in regular team meetings and trainings twice a month on Fridays at 9:00 am at the Nevada Outdoor School office, 655 Anderson St, Winnemucca, NV or via conference call. Members may not miss more than 2 team meetings per term.
• This description lists the minimum service requirements.
• Total hours per week: 40 hours
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter and resume directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line AmeriCorps Stewardship Associate.