The Texas Zoo, a zoological institution located in Victoria, Texas, is looking for a hard-working college student or recently graduated student, that is passionate about animal welfare. The Animal Health & Welfare Intern will have the opportunity to conduct environmental research on the animals within our collection, create new and exciting programming for the public, innovate creative enrichment for multiple species, and work directly with the zoo’s veterinarian. The intern will also play a crucial role in the care and management of the animals that reside in the barn and petting zoo within the zoo. This is a unique internship designed for students interested in pursuing a career in animal welfare, or a related field involving conservation or within the animal industry.
Applicants must have reliable transportation and are responsible for their own housing, however zoo staff can help applicants find housing. The Texas Zoo internships are unpaid. If college credits are desired, it is solely the student’s responsibility to coordinate through their academic institution to receive credits. Students requesting to conduct a special project during the internship must submit a proposal to be considered for approval.
● Conduct research on individuals within the zoo’s collection and how they interact with their environment
● Assist in animal collection care
● Daily care of animals temporarily residing in the clinic
● Assist in barn/petting zoo management
● Preparation of animal diets
● Assists zoo veterinarian with rounds and any medical procedures
● Create and conduct programming to educate the public on animal welfare importance and our current efforts
● Develop creative enrichment for species within the collection
● Interact with the public via shows, outreaches, and other planned programming
● Must be at least 18 years of age.
● Must be able to commit to a minimum of 20/hrs a week, but prefer 40 hrs/week
● Must be available for 12-17 weeks
● Must be a current student (undergraduate or graduate), or have recently graduated
● Excellent verbal and written skills.