The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (UDWR) is seeking an individual to fill the position of Aquatic Research Biologist/Program Coordinator. The position is a full time position located at the Fisheries Experiment Station (FES), which works to improve fish culture, fisheries management and aquatic animal health programs throughout Utah. The candidate will be expected to function independently as a principle investigator to conduct applied and basic research, field/laboratory experiments and extension work in accordance with statewide objectives.
- Work independently to conduct applied and basic research, field/laboratory
experiments and extension work in accordance with statewide objectives.
- Communicate with FES and regional personnel to identify program needs; develop
projects; design experiments; interpret data and analyze statistics; formulate
technical reports; and provide oral presentations during division and other
- Serve as the Aquatic Section's Research Council representative for the division and
will coordinate research needs with division employees, fiscal personnel and
appropriate representative from various universities (USU, BYU, etc.) to facilitate
proposals, develop contracts and tracking reports to ensure projects are funded and
performed in accordance with outlined goals and objectives.
- Participate as an American Fisheries Society member and Western Regional
Aquaculture Center (WRAC) representative which may include coordination of
regional and national research objectives, implementing conference calls and
participation in professional meetings.
- Manage and administer Federal Aide and other internal budgets.
- Supervise a research scientist, technician and other program associates.
The ideal candidate for this position has:
- Minimum of a BS in fisheries, aquatic biology, fish culture, wildlife management or
other related field field
- Experience working independently as a program manager and supervising project
- Knowledge of fish culture, hatchery management, biosecurity methods and
- Experience and knowledge of experimental design, statistical/data analysis and
- Knowledge of fisheries management and associated field responsibilities
- Knowledge of fish culture, hatchery management and biosecruity practices
- Knowledge and experience with laboratory techniques and safety practices
strong communication and writing skills