• Provide captive management and husbandry for over 60 raptors and other wildlife used for programs and in exhibits.
• Clean and maintain all indoor and outdoor animal facilities and aviaries.
• Perform daily husbandry tasks for permanent residents used in educational programs and exhibits.
• Field phone calls about injured and orphaned birds and arrange transport with finders or volunteers.
• Assist rehabilitation staff with initial intake exams, medical treatments, and daily care of avian rehabilitation patients.
• Provide daily care of injured and orphaned baby birds (feeding, husbandry, and medical treatments).
The Vermont Institute of Natural Science in Quechee, VT, and the Center for Wild Bird Rehabilitation main headquarters is located at the VINS Nature Center. This private, non-profit organization was founded in 1972 and provides environmental education, research and avian rehabilitation. The institute is located in the scenic countryside of east central Vermont approximately 2 1/2 hours from Boston, MA and 1 1/2 hours from Burlington, VT. Vermont is a great state for skiing, hiking, birding and other outdoor recreation. To learn more about the VINS raptor and songbird exhibits, forest canopy walk, nature trails, environmental education and research programs please visit our web-site at vinsweb.org.
• Passion for wildlife rehabilitation and conservation.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team.
• Strong interest in birds and wildlife husbandry.
• Willingness to work long, hard, irregular hours in all weather conditions.
• Good time management and organized.
• 18 years or older.
• Hold a valid driver’s license, and have own transportation.
• Physical capacity to catch and treat large birds, lift equipment weighing up to 40 pounds, climb stairs, and carry equipment for routine maintenance.
• Ability to work quickly & efficiently while following direction & procedures.
• Have updated tetanus vaccination at time of beginning internship.
• Available to work 40 hours per week.
• Have or working towards a college degree.
Length of Internship:
• 6 months minimum, 40 hours per week.
Hourly wage of $11.75 to be paid bi-weekly.
• Cover letter (must include dates of availability, and career goals)
• List of 3 references (must notify references at time of application)
• In subject line when submitting application - include Avian Care Intern Applicant
Lead Wildlife Keeper Center for Wild Bird Rehabilitation firstname.lastname@example.org
VINS (The Vermont Institute of Natural Science) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization wholly supported by membership dues, admission and program fees, donations, and grants.