Corvus Ecological Consulting is seeking a qualified biologist to fill the position of avian field lead at two fatality monitoring projects in Desert Center, CA. This biologist is needed as soon as November 14, 2022 and the job has the potential to continue until February of 2024.
The Field Lead will be responsible for overall project coordination and conducting carcass persistence and searcher efficiency field trials. The Project Manager will be responsible for the oversight of 1-3 surveyors. Additional tasks include report writing, data entry, data review, game camera management, photo management, transportation of injured birds to rehabilitation facilities, Common Raven surveys, trial specimen management and trial specimen procurement. Additional tasks may be added as the project progresses. The successful candidate will be good at scheduling, problem solving, have a strong work ethic and positive attitude, and have attention to detail. Familiarity with vehicle upkeep and maintenance is a plus.
This work takes place in the Mojave Desert of Southern California and is year-round including summer months where temperatures often exceed 110˚ F. Applicants should have experience working in extreme climates.
Shared housing in Desert Center is provided as a benefit as well as reimbursement for personal vehicle use.
Minimum requirements for both positions are:
• Ability to walk 10 miles per day (average 40 miles per week) on uneven terrain
• Have exceptional knowledge and experience with avian communities of the Mojave Desert
o Ability to identify birds of the Mojave Desert by sight
• Have experience with GPS units, basecamp software, and topographic maps
• Experience with digital data collection systems or databases
• Bachelor of Science in biology or related field
• A minimum of 2 years of field experience working with birds. Work conducted as part of a university course is not included, thesis or dissertation experience can be included.
• Have a keen eye for details
• A valid driver’s license and clean driving record
• Have experience working with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
Preference will be given to candidates that have experience conducting avian surveys on renewable energy facilities especially, related to fatality monitoring.
To apply please send a cover letter, résumé, and list of 3 references with phone numbers and email addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. References, cover letter and résumé should specifically address the qualifications outlined in this announcement and the candidate’s experience. If the minimum requirements outlined above with respect to field experience are not demonstrated in application packet, you will not be contacted for an interview. The preferred method of attachment is as a single document or a zip file of separate documents.