Corvus Ecological Consulting, LLC is a natural resources consulting firm based in Flagstaff, AZ. We are seeking a qualified candidate to serve as an avian surveyor on a utility-scale solar project near Barstow, California. Currently employment is guaranteed from June through August, but there is potential to extend the contract for up to 1 more full year.
Work is 32 hours/week; 8 hours per day typically Monday through Thursday. Work consists of walking and driving set routes throughout the solar facility to look for avian and bat fatalities and injuries. Biologists MUST be able to pass a rigorous bird identification test in order to be approved by regulatory agencies so only applicants with extensive knowledge of western birds (specifically species commonly resident or migrating through the Mojave Desert) should apply. Applicants should do research on weather conditions in the Barstow area and be prepared for hot summers, wind, and other sometimes unpleasant working conditions.
We seek applicants with the following qualifications:
• Prior avian field experience and demonstrable excellent birding skills
• Minimum of B.S. in Biology and 2 years of experience in field ornithology
• Ability to work independently at remote field sites
• Skill and experience with GPS units, smart phones, and general computer literacy
• Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and experience driving 4WD vehicles.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Communication skills and the ability to work well with others are paramount for a successful candidate
• Genuine interest in birds and a desire to collect quality data in a timely manner.
The following qualifications are preferred, but not required:
• Prior experience conducting avian fatality surveys at solar or wind facilities
• Prior experience in the Mojave Desert of Southern California or Nevada.
• Personal field equipment such as gps units, binoculars, spotting scopes, laptop computer and ipod Touch or smartphone (Apple or Android)
• Experience with field data collection using Pendragon FormsVI or other handheld data collection systems
Hourly compensation $30/hour plus a per diem stipend for meals and incidentals. Lodging will be provided in Barstow or nearby area. A vehicle will be provided for use on the project itself (personal vehicle will be required for travel to and from the project as well as outside of work hours)
To apply please send a cover letter, résumé, and list of 3 references with phone numbers and email addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. References, cover letter and résumé should specifically address the qualifications outlined in this announcement and the candidate’s experience with any or all of them. The preferred method of attachment is as a single document or a zip file of separate documents. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. Position is expected to start June 4.