Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Bat Biological Aide-Delaware
Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife
$10.38-12.50 per hour. Housing not provided.
Last Date to Apply
The Division of Fish and Wildlife is hiring a seasonal research assistant to assist with bat projects. Primary responsibilities will include managing volunteers, assisting with live catches of bats, radio telemetry, conducting acoustic surveys, analyzing the calls, resolving bat/human conflicts and managing data. These positions will also include educating visitors to Fort Delaware, a historical fort that conducts living history tours, on the importance of bats, the effect of White-nose Syndrome on bats and what people can do to help protect bats. Duties will also include GIS, database management and report writing. May also assist with Delmarva fox squirrel landowner outreach, camera surveys and other non-bat projects. These positions have a strong volunteer and public interaction component and the incumbents should have strong organization and people skills. Must be able and willing to work nighttime and weekend hours in difficult field conditions (biting insects, hot and cold conditions, long hours). Weekend, holiday and nighttime work will be required on a regular basis. Office is located in Smyrna, Delaware.
1) Some college work in wildlife biology/management or closely related field required.
2) Prior field experience preferred (especially with bats).
3) Must have good interpersonal and communication skills.
4) Experience using word processing, spreadsheet and GIS applications.
5) Prior acoustic monitoring and call evaluation preferred.
6) GIS experience preferred.
7) Rabies vaccination preferred.
8) Ability to work independently; organized and efficient work habits; good time management skills.
9) Valid driver’s license.
Apply by sending resume/CV along with a cover letter describing your qualifications and contact information for three references to Holly Niederriter at email@example.com. Application deadline is February 28, 2018 but positions may be filled sooner if candidates are found.