Biological Field Technicians –Slayton, MN
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary Biological Field Technicians. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Primary duties involve some or all of the following:
• Standardized avian use surveys (i.e. avian point count surveys) in Minnesota and neighboring states,
• Daily long-term observations of eagles and eagle nest activity,
• Maintenance of acoustic bat monitoring equipment,
• Assist with post-construction monitoring efforts.
Rental vehicle (or vehicle reimbursement), and necessary equipment for surveys will be provided, including safety gear (e.g. safety vest, hard hat, gloves, and safety glasses). Technician will provide own binoculars and suitable footwear (e.g. rugged hiking boots) and appropriate field clothing.
Preference will be given to applicants with birds of the Great Plains and ability to use an ATV/UTV.
Housing reimbursement may be provided. Local housing and per diem accommodations provided if overnight stays are required.
Start Date: ASAP
Compensation: $14-16/ per hour DOE
Location: positions are within 70 miles of Slayton, MN (south western, MN)
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
• A completed degree in wildlife biology or related natural resources discipline preferred, but not required.
• Must be proficient in identification of 1) eagles, and 2) Midwest bird species by sight and sound,
• Must be able stand or walk for 6-8 hours per day.
• Must be able to carry up to 30lbs over uneven terrain.
• Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
• Able to work independently or as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians.
• Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise).
• Maintain focus for long periods of time.
• Follow instructions from manager and team leader.
• Maintain positive attitude and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
Candidates must be willing and able to spend a majority of the day outside under all weather conditions, collecting and managing data with great attention to detail and must possess the scientific background to be able to adhere to scientific methods and report results of field studies. Job duties may require use of compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, tablets, and digital cameras as well as the ability to maintain equipment. Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities. Technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols. Technicians will be expected to use good judgment to stay safe and work efficiently.
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
• Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
• Scheduling Flexibility
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
To Apply: Please visit the WEST, Inc. Careers Page