Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for 2 full-time temporary Biological Field Technicians in Corvallis, OR.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
The successful candidate will be an independent self-motivated individual who is skilled in marbled murrelet or bird identification and have prior experience conducting field surveys. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in various (extreme) weather conditions and terrains and have a passion for the outdoors.
• Conduct surveys for marbled murrelet following a strict protocol
• Work early mornings, hike in the dark, endure inclement weather, and navigate steep/forested terrain to conduct surveys
• Collect and record accurate field data
• Follow all WEST safety protocols including using best judgement to stay safe while in the field
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position
Project Length: Late April – Early August
Schedule: 30-40+ hours/week
Compensation: $16-18/hour based on experience
Additional Details: A vehicle will be provided or mileage will be reimbursed at standard government rates
• Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred
• A minimum of 1 year experience with marbled murrelet or conducting field surveys preferred
• Strong field and birding skills required
• Technicians must take and pass marbled murrelet field survey training; cost of training will be reimbursed once passed
• Must have basic map reading skills
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to navigate forest/logging roads in the dark; preference will be given to candidates that have a suitable field vehicle that can be used and live in proximity to Corvallis
• Communicate and work effectively with team members and supervisors including following instructions from managers and crew leads
• Candidates must be able to hike on/off trail in steep often brushy terrain often in inclement weather conditions and a variety of terrains
• Must be able to identify birds by site and sounds; a hearing test is required per protocol and will be conducted prior to start of surveys
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
• SEP/IRA (100% employer contributions, after initial eligibility requirements are met)
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
To Apply: Please visit the WEST, Inc. Careers Page