Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a part time, experienced Field Technician near Bad Axe, MI. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Primary duties involve
• Conducting standardized avian use surveys (i.e. avian point count surveys) in Michigan.
• Conducting post-construction fatality monitoring at an operating wind energy facility in Michigan.
Fieldwork will require long days in a range of temperatures (hot in summer; cold in winter) and variable winds. Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold). Work is part time (about 10 hours per week) with potential opportunities for additional work and hours if interested.
Rental vehicle (or vehicle reimbursement), and necessary equipment for surveys will be provided, including safety gear (e.g. safety vest, hard hat, and safety glasses).
Technician will provide own binoculars and suitable footwear (e.g. rugged hiking boots) and appropriate field clothing.
Preference will be given to qualified applicants.
Start date: October 1, 2017
Compensation: $15-17/hr DOE
LOCATION: Eastern Michigan, within 1.5 hrs of Bad Axe, MI
• A completed degree in wildlife biology or related natural resources discipline preferred, but not required.
• Must be proficient in identification of 1) eagles, and 2) Midwest bird species by sight and sound. Candidates experienced in field bird identification will be given preference.
• Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
• Able to work independently and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians.
• Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise).
• Maintain focus for long periods of time.
• Follow instructions from manager and team leader.
• Maintain positive attitude and accept guidance and growth-oriented feedback.
Applicants must be in good physical shape as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme. Environmental conditions include working in rain, wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures. Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife. Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
Join WEST and you will discover a company comprised of dedicated employees, with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
• Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
• Scheduling Flexibility
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements. This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
To Apply: Click “Apply Now” (or visit the WEST, Inc. Careers Page and select the job in which you are applying for). The application system allows for only one attachment (.doc or .pdf file) so combine the following prior to uploading:
1. Cover letter convincing the hiring manager why they should interview you
2. Resume which includes education, current and prior employment (with dates, address and phone number for each employer)
3. Three professional references (preferably those that have supervised you in the past) with phone numbers and email addresses