Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for 4 temporary part-time Biological Field Technician near Watertown, NY.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
The successful candidate for this full-time position will be able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients, and have demonstrated the ability to work on biological field studies or have prior field experience. Candidates experienced in conducting standardized carcass searches at operational wind energy facilities will be given preference.
• Conduct standardized carcass monitoring beneath operating wind turbines
• Complete bias trials to assess scavenging rate and searcher efficiency
• Follow field and data entry protocols
• Use compass, Global Positioning System devices, range finder, four-wheel drive vehicle, and camera.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties that may be associated with this position.
Start Date: August 14, 2019
End Date: October 12, 2019
Compensation: $12-15 per hour DOE
Additional Details: The schedule is anticipated to consist of 5 days and approximately 40 hours of work per week during the two-month position. Work vehicles and field equipment will be provided by WEST. A housing reimbursement will be available. Overtime will be provided for hours worked over 40 during a given week.
• Must be able to work independently and interact effectively with project managers, clients, landowners, and others.
• The job requires the person filling this position to be able to appear for work on time; to observe for long periods of time; to follow instructions from managers and team leaders; to maintain positive attitude; and to accept guidance and constructive criticism.
• Precise and thorough data collection is essential.
• Technicians will be required to follow all safety protocols for WEST and clients.
• Applicants must be in good physical shape and able to navigate rugged terrain at a measured pace throughout the day as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
• Field technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boot) and clothing.
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
• SEP/IRA (100% employer contributions, after initial eligibility requirements are met)
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.