Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a part-time, with the possibility of full-time, Biological Field Technician based out of Midland/Odessa, TX.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
The successful candidate will be an independent self-motivated individual who is skilled in bird identification and has previous experience conducting avian use surveys at pre & post-construction sites. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in various (extreme) weather conditions and terrains and have a passion for the outdoors.
• Conduct fatality monitoring surveys at post construction wind facilities
• Data collection will include use of detailed paper datasheets, and submittal of data in a timely manner.
• Field work will entail long hours of walking and observing, sometimes in inclement conditions and in varying terrain
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position
Start Date: Spring/Summer
Project Length: 1 Year with the possibility of extension
• Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred
• Must be able to identify birds and bats by sight for species in the region; candidates experienced in bird identification will be given preference
• Previous experience on biological field studies and/or prior field experience preferred
• Skilled use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment is required
• Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
• Must be able to maintain equipment
• Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, clients, landowners, and other technicians
• Technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots, etc.), clothing, and binoculars
• Follow all WEST safety protocols
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
• SEP/IRA (100% employer contributions, after initial eligibility requirements are met)
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.