Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a part-time, experienced Biological Field Technician near Harlingen or Corpus Christi, Texas.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
WEST is seeking a wildlife technician for fieldwork that will require long days in a range of temperatures. Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of conducting ground-based biological surveys in the local environment (e.g., sharp vegetation, dust, extreme heat and cold). Work is part-time (approximately 3 days per month, spread evenly throughout the month) and requires availability throughout daylight hours, with 12-24 hour notice. This position is anticipated to include a year-long commitment, however there may be an opportunity for the field technician to take on additional projects or field tasks.
Primary duties include:
• Conducting standardized fixed-point avian use surveys at one wind energy development project located in South Texas
• Data collection including the use of detailed paper datasheets
• Data management as well as some date entry
Start Date: November 2018
Compensation: $12-16/hr DOE
Workload: part time hours available (approx. 8 days/month) with some schedule flexibility
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
• A completed degree in wildlife biology or related natural resources discipline preferred, but not required; skills in avian identification.
• Must be proficient in identification of 1) all species of waterfowl and waterbirds in breeding and alternate plumage, 2) grassland bird species known to occur in the region throughout the year by sight and sound, and 3) other bird species that are known to occur seasonally within south Texas, including all eagles by sight
• Must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear and appropriate clothing, and own binoculars for conducting ground-based avian surveys
• Candidate must be comfortable operating a UTV to conduct surveys
• Precise and thorough electronic and paper data collection is required
• Able to work independently but cooperatively with project manager, field supervisor, and other technicians
• Employee must be able to appear for work on time with 12-24 hour notice (all daylight hours).
• Maintain focus for long periods of time
• Follow instructions from manager and team leader
• Maintain positive attitude and accept guidance and constructive criticism
Applicants must be in good physical shape as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme. Environmental conditions include working in rain, wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures. Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife. Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
Join WEST and you will discover a company comprised of dedicated employees, with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
• Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
• Scheduling Flexibility
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.