Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary Biological Field Technician near Laramie, WY.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
The successful candidate for this position will be able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients, have previous experience with raptor observation and be able to identify Wyoming birds by sight and sound, and have had experience working in extreme weather conditions and navigating rough terrain including muddy and snowy conditions.
• Monitor for eagle and raptor activity
• Monitor protocols to collect data, map flight paths, describe eagle behaviors, and communicate observations
• May conduct avian use surveys for small and large birds, nest monitoring, and post construction fatality monitoring
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position
Start Date: November 15, 2018
End Date: November 30, 2019 with possibility of extension
Compensation: $15-17/hour DOE
Schedule: 30-40 hours per week varying on weather and seasonal workload
• Bachelor’s Degree in natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred
• Proficient in identification of Wyoming bird species by sight and sound required; candidates experienced in raptor/eagle identification and recording behavioral observations will be given preference
• Experience operating 4x4 vehicles required, ATV experience preferred
• Skilled use of topographic maps, GPS units, and other field equipment is required
• Must be able to cope with winter temperatures, as conditions can be extreme
• Must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (hiking boots), binoculars, and proper clothing for extreme weather conditions
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
• Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.