The Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge, in partnership with the California Waterfowl Association, is seeking a motivated, full-time Biological Technician. This unique Refuge is home to a wide variety of habitats, ecological communities, and species and the incumbent will perform a variety of tasks matching this diversity. Work is varied throughout the year with bird surveys and waterbird habitat management during winter migration and habitat enhancement and maintenance, including heavy equipment operation, during late-spring and summer. We are a small team and everyone is expected to complete a wide range of tasks to help us achieve our mission.
• Biological Monitoring: waterbird surveys, water quality monitoring, aquatic invertebrate surveys, waterfowl surveys, etc.
• Habitat Enhancement: invasive species management, planting, site maintenance.
• Hunt Check Station: operate check station and manage waterfowl hunting program.
• Facilities and Equipment Maintenance
• Visitor Services: interpretation and information sharing
• Environmental Education and Outreach: assist with educational programs
Education, Training and Skills Expected
• B.S. or M.S. in Wildlife Management (preferred but not required)
• Waterbird ID
• Bird Counts (large flock experience preferred)
• Database Management
• Botanical ID of local species (preferred)
• Self-motivated and Independent – position requires significant on the job learning and independent implementation.
• Interpersonal Skills: this position requires interaction with the public.
• Physical Labor: work can be physically demanding with long periods in the field.
• Valid Driver’s License