McCormick Biological, Inc. (MBI) is a biological consulting firm based out of Bakersfield, CA, that specializes in the biological resources of the San Joaquin Valley and surrounding areas. We are seeking applicants for several temporary positions available on or after April 15, 2018 and ending on or before September 15, 2018. Applicants do not need to be available for the entire period; however, availability for the majority of the period will increase an applicant’s competitiveness for a position.
General Job Description:
Under the direct supervision of experienced staff, seasonal employees will work on teams to conduct transect surveys following agency-approved methods for the detection of state- and federal-listed species including, but not limited to, blunt-nosed leopard lizard ( Gambelia sila ). In-house and field training will be provided. Duties may also include general maintenance/preparation of field equipment and other administrative tasks as assigned.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
• Work will be conducted in both field and typical office environments.
• These positions are based in Bakersfield, CA, but field sites may be distributed throughout the San Joaquin Valley. Occasional over-night travel with a field crew may be requested.
• Field work may be pre-scheduled up to 1-week in advance, and crew departure times will be coordinated by crew leaders the day before field work is conducted.
• Field work will be completed over an 8-hour work day. Overtime (more than 8 hours in a day) may be requested to accommodate for longer travel times to specific field sites. MBI offers no minimum guarantee of work hours.
• Transect surveys will consist of hiking up to several miles per day in intense sun.
• Field attire appropriate for hiking is required (e.g., shirts with sleeves, long pants, hat, sunglasses, and hiking boots). Many field sites require additional personal protective equipment (PPE) including, but not limited to, high-visibility vest, safety glasses, fire-resistant clothing, steel-toed boots, hard hats, and H2S monitors. All required safety equipment will be provided by the employer.
• Potential hazards in the field may include high temperatures, poor air quality, uneven terrain, biting insects, rattlesnakes, oil production equipment, and barbed-wire fencing.
• There is a 16-day unpaid break from work activities (July 16th through July 31st). During this time, opportunities for additional part-time work and/or continuing education may be provided by senior staff.
• Other tasks include, but are not limited to, maintaining/preparing field equipment (e.g., taking company vehicles through car wash, cleaning ice chests/binoculars/etc., bagging ice for field crews), disposal of trash, gathering recyclables, and shredding paper.
• Possession of a valid state-issued driver’s license (or ability to obtain a license) is required.
• Reliable transportation to and from MBI’s office.
• Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of employment.
• Employment is conditional on successfully passing a drug test administered at an off-site laboratory.
• Position is subject to educational and criminal background check.
• Graduation with or currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year college or university with emphasis in the biological sciences, ecology, or wildlife biology.
• Field experience with endangered and threatened species of the San Joaquin Valley. Emphasis on reptile species identification is a plus.
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to arrive at the office and be ready to depart for field activities at a pre-determined time.
• Ability to work under supervision and be self-directed when needed.
• Ability to work cooperatively in team situations.
• Ability to operate a Windows-based computer for word processing, data entry, and/or accessing the Internet.
• A working cell phone or land line for daily communications.
• Bakersfield, CA
• Part-time hourly, Seasonal, Non-exempt
• General expectation is between 25 and 40 hours per week, (Monday-Saturday)
• $18–$22/hour, DOE
• These positions do not qualify for sick leave benefits, health insurance, paid-time-off, or other benefits afforded to full time regular employees at MBI.
• Employees will be provided with a $10 per month cell phone use stipend, subsidized field gear, and company vehicle transportation to and from field sites.
• Returning seasonal employees may be eligible for participation in Simple IRA plan, provided minimum qualifications are met.
Interested candidates should download an application from our Web site:
• Please do not use the Apply Now button below. Instead, go to www.mccormickbiologicalinc.com/employment.
• Scroll down and click “Biological Technician – Apply Here” to download an application.
• Do not fill out the application using a Web browser, instead, download the PDF and fill it out using Adobe Reader.
• When you’re done filling out the application, click “Submit” at the bottom of the form, and attach your resume and cover letter to the email that is generated before you submit.
• If any problems are encountered while submitting your application, please call our office at 661-589-4065 and ask for Ashleigh or Alan.