Idaho Conservation Corps & Payette National Forest
Payette National Forest- New Meadows, ID
$6,250 living allowance dispersed on a monthly basis, a $2,887.50 education award upon completion of the 900 hours of service. The incumbent will receive training in CPR/First Aid & defensive driving. The New Meadows ranger District will also pay for an Idaho Professional Applicator License if the incumbent desires the certification. Housing is provided.
The Payette National Forest is recruiting one Biological Technician (Weeds) summer/fall intern from May 29th through October 26th 2018. The incumbent will be paired with a Forest Service conduct field surveys to identify, document, map, and treat noxious weed infestations. This position will typically work four ten hour days per week (Monday through Thurs).
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position will work under the supervision and guidance of professional range and natural resource specialists performing a variety of duties related to implementation of on the ground noxious weeds and invasive plant control. The work is performed outdoors in rugged terrain; to include very steep, wet, muddy, rough, uneven or rocky surfaces; positions require physical exertions, such as, bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities. Individuals should be capable of working alone, or with other people, during early morning hours, or during the day. Time will be spent: 30% treating invasive species, 10% collecting invasive species population data, 50% monitoring and surveying invasive species treatments, 10% range surveys.
• Willingness to work as part of a small team
• Current driver’s license.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to lift and carry up to 30lbs
• Ability to work outdoors in remote settings and inclement weather on uneven ground
• Intern may travel to other duty stations during the work week and remain over-night occasionally
• Previous experience using GPS and GIS
• Previous experience operating ATV's or UTV's
• Noxious weed and plant identification
• Strong interest in resource management.
To Apply: Applicant must apply through the Idaho Conservation Corps website: http://www.idaho-conservationcorps.org/ourprograms/ConservationInterns