Position will be responsible for bird and fish husbandry and computerized data collection governed by standard operating procedures and written protocols designed to satisfy global government research guidelines. Position is highly involved in avian acute studies, avian reproduction studies, and catfish feeding equivalency studies. Collected data and related reports must undergo quality control measures and may be reviewed by government auditors. Employees are expected to demonstrate quality and efficiency in all tasks. Employee is expected to:
• Comprehend, assimilate, and adhere to regulatory requirements, laboratory SOPs, study protocols and other instructions.
• Must understand basic research concepts and practice appropriate documentation of measurements and observations in a concise and legible manner.
• Must be able to review and summarize results from studies and understand basic statistical analyses.
• Must have an understanding of avian husbandry, anatomy, physiology, and behavior.
• Must have an understanding of fish husbandry, anatomy, physiology, and behavior
• Must perceive the difference in bird behaviors in caged versus natural environments, and practice appropriate animal care accordingly.
• Learn to identify potential fish health issues and treat accordingly.
• Be proficient in Microsoft Office programs, especially WORD and EXCEL. Must be able to quickly create spreadsheets, formulas, and pivot tables within EXCEL. Must also be able to learn use of other software.
• Reliably work independently as well as with a team and coordinate varied tasks with a team of people with diverse talents and personalities.
• Readily comprehend and apply new concepts and procedures.
• Be self-motivated and demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
• Consistently execute repetitive tasks and follow a set schedule with the ability to adapt to changes in daily routine.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, while being detail-oriented, thorough, and efficient.
• Work with a variety of avian species in hot, wet, cold, dry, and soiled conditions. Work with channel catfish.
• Must be able to climb ladders, reach, bend, and use various tools. Must be able to be on feet for long periods of time and lift 50 pounds.
• Must be willing and able to do a combination of both manual labor and desk work, sometimes shifting between both within the same day.
• Must be willing and able to participate in all activities necessary to accomplish daily work load.
• GLP experience a plus.
• Previous CRO Study Director experience a plus.
Visit https://www.smithers.com/careers to apply.
Smithers is seeking applicants for a biologist position at their Avian Toxicology research facility in North Carolina. A Master’s degree in one of the life sciences, or comparable work experience, is required. Experience in a wildlife based laboratory research environment is preferred but not necessary.