Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Black Bear Winter Technician, University of Georgia- North Georgia
The University of Georgia
Last Date to Apply
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to assist with tasks related to bear research and management. This position will include both field work and office/data assignments. Main duties will include accompanying a graduate student studying black bears on numerous den checks in mountainous terrain during the winter months. This work will be rewarding, but it will often require the candidate to hike 4-5 miles in arduous terrain, dense vegetation, and poor weather conditions using VHF telemetry. Camera trap data cleaning will require the candidate to meticulously sort thousands of photos and videos captured the previous season in a designated database. This position will require long days and weekend work with lots of travel to different study areas across north Georgia. Funding is provided for a total of 360 hours. We envision that this position will typically be a 30 hour/week position for 12 weeks. However, weekly hours could range from 20-40. Housing is not provided.
• Be pursuing or have acquired a bachelor’s degree in wildlife or a related field
• Have experience hiking off-trail in arduous terrain
• Be familiar with the operation of VHF telemetry gear
• Be self-driven with an ability to pay attention to detail
• Be flexible (long days should be expected and weekend work may be required)
• Able to record detailed data and translate these data into electronic databases
• Be organized
• Be teachable & able to follow directions
• Able to remain calm in high-pressure situations
• Ability to safely operate a 4WD vehicle
• Ability to run a chainsaw
Preference is given to applicants with prior experience in large mammal handling, experience using VHF telemetry to locate animals, and experience with chemical immobilization.
Serious applicants should submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and 3 references to the email listed below.