Under the supervision of a botany crew leader, the successful
applicants will conduct botanical surveys on SPI forests located
throughout northern & central California. Qualified applicants must be
able to collect detailed field data, work in remote field locations, hike
steep slopes over uneven terrain, and work full days in all types of
weather. Transportation from the base location to the field is provided.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
▪ Navigating forest roads & terrain using digital and hard
▪ Recording geologic, topographic, and habitat site
▪ Plant ID of California flora to family, genus, and species.
▪ Survey proposed timber harvest areas and other special
projects for rare plant species & collect supporting
documentation and vouchers.
Spring - Fall (flexible start & end dates)
Applications open: October 20th 2022
Applications close: February 10th 2023
Interviews will be ongoing as applications are received.
Positions may be filled prior to deadline.
Applicants must provide a cover letter and resume when
Compensation includes competitive hourly wage and
housing allowance for qualifying individuals.
These positions will require overnight travel and work outside of the base
location. Meals/lodging will be provided by SPI when assigned to work
from a location other than the base location. Employees must find their
own housing within the base location during their employment.
▪ College coursework in botany, biology, forestry, or related
natural resource field. Coursework must include plant taxonomy
or plant ID.
▪ One season of botanical field work is desirable, but not required.
▪ Ability to ID plant species in the North Coast, Klamath, Cascade,
Modoc, and Sierra Nevada regions.
▪ Map/photo interpretation ability. Prior GPS and data
recorder/tablet use desirable.
▪ Driver license required.